NRF Foundation Awards $195K in Scholarships to 26 college students
Home Textiles Today Staff -- Home Textiles Today, 5/31/2013 11:25:47 AM
Washington D.C. - National Retail Federation's NRF Foundation non-profit division has awarded $5,000 scholarships to 26 college students in the retail field.
Stemming from NRF Foundation's Ray M. Greenly Scholarship fund, the scholarships collectively amounted to $195,000.
NRF Foundation explained that each student selected for this year's scholarship "was nominated by educators based on their demonstrated academic achievements and strong passion for retail."
As part of the application process, students submitted essays on their career aspirations, how they would impact their community as a retailer, and the most inspiring retail innovation they have experienced as shoppers.
In addition to the $5,000 scholarship, recipients - all of whom are members of the NRF Student Association -- will also receive a travel grant to attend in September the Shop.org Annual Summit. There, HSNi ceo Mindy Grossman, who also serves as chair of the NRF Foundation board of directors, will host a special dinner for scholarship recipients the night before the NRF Foundation's student program.
"We are so excited to recognize our newest Ray Greenly scholarship recipients, who are true representatives of the future of our industry," said Ellen Davis, executive director of the NRF Foundation and senior vice president of NRF. "The NRF Foundation is thrilled to be able to provide these deserving students with financial support and experiences as they pursue their passion for retail."
The Ray M. Greenly Scholarship Fund was established to honor the memory of a former Shop.org vice president who lost his battle with cancer in the fall of 2005. It provides financial support to students pursuing a career in retail in areas including marketing, operations, merchandising, logistics, IT, and analytics. The scholarship is partially funded by a portion of the proceeds from CyberMonday.com, a website launched in 2006 to provide retailers with the opportunity to highlight their online promotions on Cyber Monday and throughout the year.
During the 2012-2013 school year, the NRF Foundation distributed nearly $375,000 in scholarships to college students.
We would love your feedback!
Most Recent Resources
- Getting the most out of offline leads
- Free Shipping and the Importance of Onsite Promotion
- Should Branded Manufacturers Participate in Flash Sales?
- Rugs 101 - Special Edition
- How Big Is Your Label
- Choosing a Web Site Developer
- Convergence: Tie Your Online & Offline Experience...
- Social Networks to Social Shopping
- Why Brands and Their Retailers are Facebook’s Biggest...
- Web Based Intelligence Gathering
- The Future of Tablets
- Shopatron: Bicycles & eCommerce
- A Guide to Holiday eCommerce Success
- Mattress Buying 101 - Connecting with Consumers
- Designing Your Brand’s Website for eCommerce
- Global Sourcing in 2010: Doing More With Less
- Comparing Four Options for Turning Web Site Traffic into...
- Are You Prepared for the 2009 Holiday Season? A Branded...
- Design, Develop, Deliver: The Three D's to Digitally...