comScore: Ecommerce up 13% in Q1
HTT Staff -- Home Textiles Today, 5/13/2013 1:02:38 PM
Reston, Va. - Consumers' online retail spending in the first quarter climbed 13% to $50.2 billion, according to comScore, which measures the digital world.
The results marked the 14th consecutive quarter of positive year-over-year growth and 10th consecutive quarter of double-digit growth. It was also just the second quarter on record to surpass $50 billion in spending, according to the firm.
The measurement, which tracks ecommerce purchases from home and work, excludes auctions, autos and large corporate purchases.
"While the year-over-year growth rate of 13 percent remained healthy, it was a point or two below that of the preceding quarters. One potential explanation for this mild deceleration is the payroll tax increase, which went into effect in 2013 and which removed some disposal income from Americans' wallets," said comScore chairman Gian Fulgoni.
While the outlook for 2013 remains good, he said, if legislation passes that would enact the collection of sales taxes on ecommerce transactions it could cut into sales volume.
The top-performing product categories online were digital content & subscriptions, apparel & accessories, sport & fitness, consumer electronics, and consumer packaged goods, each with at least 20% year-over-year growth.
comScore reported nearly half (49%) of the time consumers spent online in the retail realm took place on mobile devices. Smartphone access (34%) was more frequent than tablets (14%).
We would love your feedback!
Most Recent Resources
- Getting the most out of offline leads
- Free Shipping and the Importance of Onsite Promotion
- Should Branded Manufacturers Participate in Flash Sales?
- Rugs 101 - Special Edition
- How Big Is Your Label
- Choosing a Web Site Developer
- Convergence: Tie Your Online & Offline Experience...
- Social Networks to Social Shopping
- Why Brands and Their Retailers are Facebook’s Biggest...
- Web Based Intelligence Gathering
- The Future of Tablets
- Shopatron: Bicycles & eCommerce
- A Guide to Holiday eCommerce Success
- Mattress Buying 101 - Connecting with Consumers
- Designing Your Brand’s Website for eCommerce
- Global Sourcing in 2010: Doing More With Less
- Comparing Four Options for Turning Web Site Traffic into...
- Are You Prepared for the 2009 Holiday Season? A Branded...
- Design, Develop, Deliver: The Three D's to Digitally...