Pantone Announces 2014 Directions for Home
Home Textiles Today Staff -- Home Textiles Today, 3/17/2013 2:00:00 AM
CHICAGO - Pantone LLC recently released the Pantone View home + interiors 2014 trend forecast featuring nine key color and design themes for home furnishings and interior design for next year.
The announcement was made by Pantone during the International Home & Housewares Show here at the company's ColorWatch Display in the Hall of Global Innovation.
"Consumers are becoming increasingly color savvy and color aware," said Leatrice Eiseman, executive director of the Pantone Color Institute. "With consumers seeking distinctive styling and considerable substance more than ever before, it is critical that retailers and designers be aware of future color trends."
The nine palettes for 2014 are: Techno Color, Physicality, Sculpted Simplicity, Fluidity, Collage, Intimacy, Moda, Tribal Threads and Eccentricities.
Pantone offered a description of each of these colors.
• Innovative Techno Color "acknowledges the advancement of technology - how it is impacting the world of design and expanding the color universe through a melding of both vibrant and deep hues, frequently executed in reflective surfaces." A range of shades, including a multifaceted emerald, an exuberant orange, a turquoise- like blue and a strong purple, plus true blue, jet black and dark citron, "are intertwined in intriguingly inventive color combinations."
• Physicality speaks to the colors of power and energy counterbalanced by the presence of hues that express the necessity for introspection and calmness. "The stamina of forged iron, satellite gray, antique moss and gothic olive are interplayed with the healing shades of herbal lavender, grayed grape, rosy brown and a quieting, ephemeral foggy gray."
• Sculpted Simplicity "recognizes how important shape, form and structure are to the end product and/or environment. The colors are unassuming and do not take center stage. The sophisticated tones elegantly harmonize with distinctively nuanced undertones," and include travertine, anthracite, blanc de blanc and twilight mauve, supported by an anodized brown, ethereal gray and a suggestion of silver.
• Fluidity is the palette that "understands the inevitable human need for life-sustaining cool water tones, rendered largely in dazzling blues and blue-greens." These cooling hues include absinthe green, violet tulle, blazing Samoan sun, dewberry purple and two orange-coral tones.
• Collage is "a gathering place for found objects that are well worn and somewhat nostalgic - a charming mélange of artfully constructed designs that demonstrate ingenuity and resourcefulness." Tea rose, deep reddish rhubarb, warm pumpkin spice and cozy sheepskin, are refreshed with margarita green, provincial blue and cascading tones of aqua and teal make up this grouping.
• Intimacy "implies a certain affinity and relationship expressed in tints and tones that are inviting in nature and softly tactile - closely connected, yet subtly different, a happy marriage of adaptable warm, cool and neutral tones." The palette includes gardenia white, lotus blossom pink, rose cloud, fawn and café crème, while pale lavenders and opal gray.
• Moda speaks of "the drama of high fashion when translated into interiors ... red dahlia interacts with blackberry cordial and wood violet, all accented by a yellowed amber green. Corsican blue meets with magenta haze and an expressive linden green, while rich gold waits in the wings for the appropriate moment to add a glimmering finale to any of the combinations."
• Tribal Threads are "as varied as the tribal diversity they represent, yet they construct a universal linkage of artistic appreciation rooted in personal expression." Included are neutrals, such as bleached sand and kangaroo brown, burnt orange, goblin blue, curry, peppercorn, and a rose-dusted cedar shade.
• Eccentricities is "tongue-in cheek in attitude with color juxtapositions that are highly original and cleverly conceived in evocative combinations." Examples here include lemon zest, nectarine, skydiver blue, Fudgesickle, strawberry ice.
We would love your feedback!