Kohl's rolling out initiatives to spark higher spend
HTT Staff -- Home Textiles Today, 2/28/2013 11:16:46 AM
Menomonee Falls, Wis. - Home continued to struggle at Kohl's during the fourth quarter, with comps performing below the store average except for housewares, bedding and small electrics.
During this morning's conference call with analysts, executives didn't say what the retailer plans to do about home specifically, but did outline broader changes in focus and messaging.
Over the past year, Kohl's has installed "essentially a new merchandising team across the company," said Kevin Mansell, chairman, president and ceo. As the company works to improve its ecommerce business - which is scheduled to move to a new platform this summer - Kohl's continues to hire merchants, planners and techs for the effort, he said.
Kohl's will also introduce a new marketing message, making greater use of television and de-emphasizing print. The target: moms aged 35 to 55.
"We will position Kohl's as the savings leader," said Mansell, who added this will require improving both style and quality. "We will own savings."
Kohl's tested some format tweaks last year, but they didn't deliver the hoped-for results, especially in home. While the formats won't go forward, they did generate some ideas that will be adopted, he said.
Last fall, Kohl's also tested a loyalty program in 100 stores among customers who either don't qualify for a Kohl's credit card or don't want to use credit. That test will expand to more markets this spring.
"We have to broaden our mix to reach more non-credit card customers," said Wes McDonald, senior evp and cfo.
During the holidays, the company tested in-store pick-up for merchandise purchased online. That test will widen to 100 stores by holiday 2013.
We would love your feedback!
Most Recent Resources
- Getting the most out of offline leads
- Free Shipping and the Importance of Onsite Promotion
- Should Branded Manufacturers Participate in Flash Sales?
- Rugs 101 - Special Edition
- How Big Is Your Label
- Choosing a Web Site Developer
- Convergence: Tie Your Online & Offline Experience...
- Social Networks to Social Shopping
- Why Brands and Their Retailers are Facebook’s Biggest...
- Web Based Intelligence Gathering
- The Future of Tablets
- Shopatron: Bicycles & eCommerce
- A Guide to Holiday eCommerce Success
- Mattress Buying 101 - Connecting with Consumers
- Designing Your Brand’s Website for eCommerce
- Global Sourcing in 2010: Doing More With Less
- Comparing Four Options for Turning Web Site Traffic into...
- Are You Prepared for the 2009 Holiday Season? A Branded...
- Design, Develop, Deliver: The Three D's to Digitally...