Love Was in the Air for Comps
Home Textiles Today Staff -- Home Textiles Today, 2/25/2013 2:00:00 AM
NEW YORK - Valentine's Day promos helped push comps up 3.1% in the second week of February following a 2.4% gain the prior week, according to The Johnson Redbook Retail Sales Index.
Month-to-date, February was up 2.8% compared to February of last year, relative to a target of a 2.9% gain. Month-over-month showed a 1.5% gain, relative to a target of a 1.6% gain.
Shoppers finished their Valentine's Day shopping by midweek and began to take advantage of President's Day promotions toward the end of the week, noted Redbook analyst Catlin Levis.
"Some attributed the strength to the fact that this year's Valentine's Day fell on the second week of the retail calendar, versus the third week last year, which positively affected comparisons for retailers," she added.
Sales were healthy in traditional Valentine's Day categories such as flowers, cosmetics, jewelry and candy. The in customer traffic also lifted sales in categories not directly related to the event, including basic and seasonal apparel, food and household goods, all of which saw satisfactory business.
Johnson Redbook Index
Second week of February, year-over-year % change
*Including chain stores and traditional department stores
We would love your feedback!
Most Recent Resources
- Getting the most out of offline leads
- Free Shipping and the Importance of Onsite Promotion
- Should Branded Manufacturers Participate in Flash Sales?
- Rugs 101 - Special Edition
- How Big Is Your Label
- Choosing a Web Site Developer
- Convergence: Tie Your Online & Offline Experience...
- Social Networks to Social Shopping
- Why Brands and Their Retailers are Facebook’s Biggest...
- Web Based Intelligence Gathering
- The Future of Tablets
- Shopatron: Bicycles & eCommerce
- A Guide to Holiday eCommerce Success
- Mattress Buying 101 - Connecting with Consumers
- Designing Your Brand’s Website for eCommerce
- Global Sourcing in 2010: Doing More With Less
- Comparing Four Options for Turning Web Site Traffic into...
- Are You Prepared for the 2009 Holiday Season? A Branded...
- Design, Develop, Deliver: The Three D's to Digitally...