FIT Names 2012 Carole Sloan Scholar
Home Textiles Today Staff -- Home Textiles Today, 10/23/2012 5:45:33 AM
NEW YORK - Anne Gevers, a fifth-semester student majoring in Home Products Development at the Fashion Institute of Technology (FIT), has been named the 2012 Carole Sloan Scholar by the Fashion Institute of Technology.
Gevers received $2,500 for achieving the highest GPA in the Home Products Development (HPD) program. The award is named for Carole Sloan, founding editor and at Home Textiles Today and senior editor at Furniture Today, who passed away in January 2011.
"We gratefully acknowledge the generous support of time and gifts from industry colleagues in the home products industry," said Ingrid Johnson, acting chair of the Home Products Development program.
Stephen Pond, founder of Home Textiles Today and Furniture Today, donated $50,000 to create the endowment. He continues to challenge the industry to match his gift so the Carole Sloan Fund can reach its goal of $105,000.
Johnson added, "Anne Gevers is a perfect Carole Sloan Scholar because she excels in and out of the classroom. Anne [pronounced Anna] researched every program FIT offered and then met with me many times before applying to the Home Products Development program. Achieving the highest grade point average in her junior year, it is apparent she prepares well and works hard to learn as much as she can from her professors, industry professionals, and team project experiences. One of Anne's impressive academic credentials is that she also is taking a minor concentration in economics. The Home Products Department is very proud that she is the recipient of the 2012 Carole Sloan Scholarship Award."
Gevers commented, "I feel honored to have been selected for an award named after Carole Sloan, a woman who was influential in the industry and wanted to see more women follow in her path. The Home Products Development major has been a formative experience for me, especially because of the opportunity to attend trade shows and interact with industry professionals. I have learned a great deal from my professors and peers, and feel grateful for their guidance and inspiration. Given how challenging this program is, I initially was apprehensive about enrolling. Now I consider myself very wise to have taken that chance."
Tax deductible contributions to the fund can be made to the FIT Foundation, Fashion Institute of Technology, 227 West 27th Street, Room C204, New York, NY 10001. Please note "Carole Sloan Scholar Fund" on the check. For additional information, contact Terry Culver, director of development at (212) 217-4109.
We would love your feedback!
Most Recent Resources
- Getting the most out of offline leads
- Free Shipping and the Importance of Onsite Promotion
- Should Branded Manufacturers Participate in Flash Sales?
- Rugs 101 - Special Edition
- How Big Is Your Label
- Choosing a Web Site Developer
- Convergence: Tie Your Online & Offline Experience...
- Social Networks to Social Shopping
- Why Brands and Their Retailers are Facebook’s Biggest...
- Web Based Intelligence Gathering
- The Future of Tablets
- Shopatron: Bicycles & eCommerce
- A Guide to Holiday eCommerce Success
- Mattress Buying 101 - Connecting with Consumers
- Designing Your Brand’s Website for eCommerce
- Global Sourcing in 2010: Doing More With Less
- Comparing Four Options for Turning Web Site Traffic into...
- Are You Prepared for the 2009 Holiday Season? A Branded...
- Design, Develop, Deliver: The Three D's to Digitally...