JCP letter says shoppers "shouldn't have to wait" for coupons, then offers a coupon
HTT Staff -- Home Textiles Today, 10/11/2012 12:07:16 PM
Plano, Texas - As JCPenney rolls out its new pricing and merchandising strategy, ceo Ron Johnson has communicated directly with customers by email to explain what's going on.
In an email issued this morning, Johnson touts the new shop-in-shops that have opened thus far in JCP stores and makes a pitch for the company's streamlined, no-promotions pricing strategy.
"One of our core values is that you shouldn't have to wait for a sale or a coupon to get great values. So you'll find low prices everyday on the brands you love," Johnson wrote.
Johnson invites the recipient to visit a JCP store to check out the new shops. "As an incentive," he also offers a downloadable $10 gift card. The card can only be redeemed in stores and must be used by Nov. 4.
Sears tried the same strategy years ago and failed.
Henry Holz - 2012-10-11 13:40:36 EDT
Even Saturn, div of GM, tried a similar strategy with no haggling pricing, and look where they are now.
Lets face it- we have created a monster in that customers have been conditioned to purchase items"on sale" whether discounted, couponed, etc..
This "monster' has an insatiable appetite, and cannot be killed using converntional means.
The $10 Gift Card is a good promotional idea, which many stores have been using for years. As for the no coupons aka perceived to be too cheap to pay for weekly ads strategy; I doubt that will work, but I hope it works for Ron Johnson and JC Penney's sake. I also believe, that all of this good and bad publicity is actually good for JC Penney.Alan Lloyd - 2012-10-11 12:52:15 EDT
Most Recent Resources
- Getting the most out of offline leads
- Free Shipping and the Importance of Onsite Promotion
- Should Branded Manufacturers Participate in Flash Sales?
- Rugs 101 - Special Edition
- How Big Is Your Label
- Choosing a Web Site Developer
- Convergence: Tie Your Online & Offline Experience...
- Social Networks to Social Shopping
- Why Brands and Their Retailers are Facebook’s Biggest...
- Web Based Intelligence Gathering
- The Future of Tablets
- Shopatron: Bicycles & eCommerce
- A Guide to Holiday eCommerce Success
- Mattress Buying 101 - Connecting with Consumers
- Designing Your Brand’s Website for eCommerce
- Global Sourcing in 2010: Doing More With Less
- Comparing Four Options for Turning Web Site Traffic into...
- Are You Prepared for the 2009 Holiday Season? A Branded...
- Design, Develop, Deliver: The Three D's to Digitally...