Labor Day perks up comps
HTT Staff -- Home Textiles Today, 9/5/2012 2:07:00 PM
New York - Same-store sales for the week ended Sept. 1 rose 2.5%, according to the Johnson Redbook Retail Sales Index
The target for the month is a 2.2% gain. Month-over-month showed a 1.7% gain, relative to a target of a 1.5% gain.
The discount channel logged a 3.2% comp increase while the department store sector saw same-store sales rise 1.0%.
Sales picked up in the days leading up to the Labor Day weekend, noted Catlin Levis, Redbook analyst
"Shoppers responded positively to various Labor Day promotions and last minute back-to-school shopping despite Tropical Storm Isaac putting somewhat of a damper on the gulf coast region," she continued.
Back-to-school merchandise and seasonal apparel were key performers during the week. Discount stores registered strong food sales ahead of the long Labor Day weekend.
"Some retailers are nearing the end of their back-to-school calendars while others expect its impetus to last through the month, reflecting in sales of children's clothing, school supplies and selected hard goods," she added. "Some retailers are already getting inventories ready to jump-start their Halloween sales."
We would love your feedback!
Most Recent Resources
- Getting the most out of offline leads
- Free Shipping and the Importance of Onsite Promotion
- Should Branded Manufacturers Participate in Flash Sales?
- Rugs 101 - Special Edition
- How Big Is Your Label
- Choosing a Web Site Developer
- Convergence: Tie Your Online & Offline Experience...
- Social Networks to Social Shopping
- Why Brands and Their Retailers are Facebook’s Biggest...
- Web Based Intelligence Gathering
- The Future of Tablets
- Shopatron: Bicycles & eCommerce
- A Guide to Holiday eCommerce Success
- Mattress Buying 101 - Connecting with Consumers
- Designing Your Brand’s Website for eCommerce
- Global Sourcing in 2010: Doing More With Less
- Comparing Four Options for Turning Web Site Traffic into...
- Are You Prepared for the 2009 Holiday Season? A Branded...
- Design, Develop, Deliver: The Three D's to Digitally...