A so-so week for comps
HTT Staff -- Home Textiles Today, 6/26/2012 10:45:44 AM
New York - Same-store sales rose 1.9% last week following a 2.4% gain the prior week, according to The Johnson Redbook Retail Sales Index.
Month-to-date, June comps were up 2.3% compared to June of last year, relative to a target of a 2.9% gain. Month-over-month showed a 0.4% gain, relative to a target of a 0.9% gain.
Both department and discount stores turned in softer performance following Father's Day, noted Catlin Levis, Redbook analyst.
"The slower pace reflected a normal seasonal lull as more people enjoy the outdoors instead of shopping in stores during the summer month," she said. "With the first day of summer having come on Wednesday, some retailers said their seasonal inventory is slightly higher than they would prefer at this point in the cycle."
However, she added, most retailers continue to expect sell-through during the hot weather and upcoming 4th of July promotions as more shoppers buy according to immediate needs.
We would love your feedback!
Most Recent Resources
- Getting the most out of offline leads
- Free Shipping and the Importance of Onsite Promotion
- Should Branded Manufacturers Participate in Flash Sales?
- Rugs 101 - Special Edition
- How Big Is Your Label
- Choosing a Web Site Developer
- Convergence: Tie Your Online & Offline Experience...
- Social Networks to Social Shopping
- Why Brands and Their Retailers are Facebook’s Biggest...
- Web Based Intelligence Gathering
- The Future of Tablets
- Shopatron: Bicycles & eCommerce
- A Guide to Holiday eCommerce Success
- Mattress Buying 101 - Connecting with Consumers
- Designing Your Brand’s Website for eCommerce
- Global Sourcing in 2010: Doing More With Less
- Comparing Four Options for Turning Web Site Traffic into...
- Are You Prepared for the 2009 Holiday Season? A Branded...
- Design, Develop, Deliver: The Three D's to Digitally...