Savannah College Senior Tops in Surtex Competition
Home Textiles Today Staff -- Home Textiles Today, 5/28/2012 2:00:00 AM
WHITE PLAINS, N.Y. - Kirby Lee Smith, a senior at Savannah College of Art and Design, was named the Grand Prize winner of the designext international student competition organized annually by the Surtex surface design show.
She is a student in the Fibers Department and will received a $1000 cash award.
Smith has already received academic scholarships from the design community and participated in juried exhibitions in Atlanta and France. After a summer internship in domestics design at Target last year, she will join the company after graduation.
"This year, 50 participants in the designext competition took the opportunity to develop portfolios that position them for entry into the surface design industry. All students have benefitted from the learning experience: to prepare work that will translate to diverse surfaces. Each year, the four winners have utilized the contacts they made at Surtex to launch promising careers," said Penney Sikalis, Surtex show manager and vp of show organizer GLM.
The panel of judges included: Nancy Fire, design director, HGTV Home Brand and Founder, Design Works International; Ragna Frodadottir, creative director, Edelkoort Inc.; Lynne Hopkins, vp of woven design, P/Kaufmann; and Robert Warden, design/creative director, Paperchase.
The judges also critiqued the portfolios of all four designext winners. In addition to Smith, they were Tai Lin Hsieh, a senior in textile design at the Academy of Art University in San Francisco; Suzanne Lefebvre, a senior in the Graphic & Interior Design Department at Rochester Institute of Technology in Rochester, NY; and Poppy Maxfield, a third-year student in printed textiles and surface patterns at Leeds College of Art in Yorkshire, England.
We would love your feedback!
Most Recent Resources
- Getting the most out of offline leads
- Free Shipping and the Importance of Onsite Promotion
- Should Branded Manufacturers Participate in Flash Sales?
- Rugs 101 - Special Edition
- How Big Is Your Label
- Choosing a Web Site Developer
- Convergence: Tie Your Online & Offline Experience...
- Social Networks to Social Shopping
- Why Brands and Their Retailers are Facebook’s Biggest...
- Web Based Intelligence Gathering
- The Future of Tablets
- Shopatron: Bicycles & eCommerce
- A Guide to Holiday eCommerce Success
- Mattress Buying 101 - Connecting with Consumers
- Designing Your Brand’s Website for eCommerce
- Global Sourcing in 2010: Doing More With Less
- Comparing Four Options for Turning Web Site Traffic into...
- Are You Prepared for the 2009 Holiday Season? A Branded...
- Design, Develop, Deliver: The Three D's to Digitally...