Belk produces double-digit net income increases in Q1
Comps up 7.4%
HTT Staff -- Home Textiles Today, 5/31/2012 1:52:13 PM
Charlotte, N.C. - Crediting higher sales and margin along with improved expense leverage, Belk Inc. posted a 26.3% increase in net income in its first quarter.
Sales were up 7.2% to $909.8 million, and comps increased 7.4%. Net income was $40.3 million.
Among the highest growth rate merchandise categories during the quarter were home, women's sportswear and men's.
Belk's results were "above expectation," said Tim Belk, chairman and ceo. "Color in the assortment has been a powerful story this spring. We were well positioned with inventory in early March, and our customers responded."
On the real estate front, Belk said it will invest about $75 million in the current fiscal year for expansion and remodeling projects in 29 states. Two stores will be relocated into new store buildings, four stores will be expanded and remodeled, and 13 stores will be remodeled.
We would love your feedback!
Most Recent Resources
- Getting the most out of offline leads
- Free Shipping and the Importance of Onsite Promotion
- Should Branded Manufacturers Participate in Flash Sales?
- Rugs 101 - Special Edition
- How Big Is Your Label
- Choosing a Web Site Developer
- Convergence: Tie Your Online & Offline Experience...
- Social Networks to Social Shopping
- Why Brands and Their Retailers are Facebook’s Biggest...
- Web Based Intelligence Gathering
- The Future of Tablets
- Shopatron: Bicycles & eCommerce
- A Guide to Holiday eCommerce Success
- Mattress Buying 101 - Connecting with Consumers
- Designing Your Brand’s Website for eCommerce
- Global Sourcing in 2010: Doing More With Less
- Comparing Four Options for Turning Web Site Traffic into...
- Are You Prepared for the 2009 Holiday Season? A Branded...
- Design, Develop, Deliver: The Three D's to Digitally...