Four Students Honored in Surtex Design Competition
Home Textiles Today Staff -- Home Textiles Today, 4/2/2012 2:00:00 AM
WHITE PLAINS, N.Y. - Surtex, the trade show for surface art and design, has announced the winners of its designext contest for college students.
They are: Tai Lin Hsieh of San Francisco, a senior in textile design at the Academy of Art University in San Francisco; Suzanne Lefebvre of Fairport, N.Y., a senior in the graphic and interior design at Rochester Institute of Technology in Rochester, N.Y.; Poppy Maxfield of Lincolnshire, England, a third-year student in printed textiles and surface patterns at Leeds College of Art in Yorkshire, England; and Kirby Smith of Coatesville, Penn., a senior in the fibers department at Savannah College of Art and Design in Savannah, Ga.
Students were challenged to create an overall concept related to outdoor living and a minimum of six surface designs that projected future trends. The four winners will receive a trip to New York to attend Surtex, which is being held May 20-22 at the Jacob Javits Center. Judges will select one grand prize winner, who will be awarded a $1,000.
"These highly talented students have met and exceeded the judges' expectations at a very early stage in their professional development," said Penny Sikalis, vp of show organizer GLM and manager of the Surtex show.
This year's panel of judges included: Nancy Fire, design director, HGTV Home Brand, and founder, Design Works International; Ragna Frodadottir, creative director, Edelkoort, Inc.; Lynne Hopkins, vp of woven design, P/Kaufmann; and Robert Warden, design/creative director, Paperchase.
We would love your feedback!
Most Recent Resources
- Getting the most out of offline leads
- Free Shipping and the Importance of Onsite Promotion
- Should Branded Manufacturers Participate in Flash Sales?
- Rugs 101 - Special Edition
- How Big Is Your Label
- Choosing a Web Site Developer
- Convergence: Tie Your Online & Offline Experience...
- Social Networks to Social Shopping
- Why Brands and Their Retailers are Facebook’s Biggest...
- Web Based Intelligence Gathering
- The Future of Tablets
- Shopatron: Bicycles & eCommerce
- A Guide to Holiday eCommerce Success
- Mattress Buying 101 - Connecting with Consumers
- Designing Your Brand’s Website for eCommerce
- Global Sourcing in 2010: Doing More With Less
- Comparing Four Options for Turning Web Site Traffic into...
- Are You Prepared for the 2009 Holiday Season? A Branded...
- Design, Develop, Deliver: The Three D's to Digitally...