Walmart promotes Foran to head Walmart China
Home Textiles Today Staff -- Home Textiles Today, 2/7/2012 3:24:25 PM
Hong Kong - Walmart today announced that it has named 30-year retail veteran Greg Foran as president and ceo of Walmart China, effective March 1.
The move is a promotion for Foran, who currently serves as senior vp for Walmart International - a position he has held since October 2011 when he first joined the company.
Foran will relocate to China, pending work visa approval, to assume his new role.
Foran grew his career in New Zealand and Australia from a part-time job stocking shelves to head of Woolworths' Supermarket Division. He held several senior roles within Woolworths, including general manager of Big W, the company's discount department store division, and Dick Smith, which specializes in consumer electronics.
His experience includes operations, merchandising, marketing and replenishment.
"With his distinguished career in retail, Greg is uniquely qualified to lead our growing business in China," said Scott Price, president and ceo, Walmart Asia and interim ceo for Walmart China. "I'm very pleased he is bringing his talents to help us continue Walmart's expansion there and enhance our efforts to help Chinese customers save money so that they can live better."
Added Foran: "I'm honored to have the privilege to lead our business in China and serve our customers there. China is a very important market for Walmart and I look forward to working with our 100,000 associates."
Walmart entered the Chinese market and opened its first Supercenter and Sam's Club in Shenzhen in 1996. Currently, Walmart operates a number of formats and banners in China, including Supercenters, Sam's Clubs and Neighborhood Markets. As of Feb. 2012, Walmart had over 370 units in 140 cities.
We would love your feedback!
Most Recent Resources
- Getting the most out of offline leads
- Free Shipping and the Importance of Onsite Promotion
- Should Branded Manufacturers Participate in Flash Sales?
- Rugs 101 - Special Edition
- How Big Is Your Label
- Choosing a Web Site Developer
- Convergence: Tie Your Online & Offline Experience...
- Social Networks to Social Shopping
- Why Brands and Their Retailers are Facebook’s Biggest...
- Web Based Intelligence Gathering
- The Future of Tablets
- Shopatron: Bicycles & eCommerce
- A Guide to Holiday eCommerce Success
- Mattress Buying 101 - Connecting with Consumers
- Designing Your Brand’s Website for eCommerce
- Global Sourcing in 2010: Doing More With Less
- Comparing Four Options for Turning Web Site Traffic into...
- Are You Prepared for the 2009 Holiday Season? A Branded...
- Design, Develop, Deliver: The Three D's to Digitally...