• Jennifer Marks

New research buttresses brick & mortar role in shopping

NRF launches quarterly consumer survey

Los Angeles – Is the retail industry in flux? Absolutely. Is competition from Amazon and other pure players putting bricks shopping in the shade? Not by a long shot, according to new consumer research released this afternoon by the National Retail Federation.

The report, the first a new quarterly series NRF is launching, found only 21% of consumers surveyed are primarily online shoppers, defined as those who purchase more than half of their items online. By contrast, 79% purchase half or less of their items online.

Among Millennials and Generation Z, 34% are primarily online shoppers, but the majority still make most of their purchases in stores. During a press conference this afternoon at NRF’s Shop.Org conference, the association pushed back hard on the “retail apocalypse” meme. Retail sales are up in the first six months of the year, and more stores are opening than closing.

Millennials in particular are drawn to visit new stores, stores that have added food or entertainment options and stores that offer in-person pickup for online orders. The survey found 49% are shopping in stores more often than they did a year ago, with 34% shopping in stores about the same. Only 17% of Millennials are shopping less often.

Among all consumer 50% said they shop in stores about the same amount, while 28% said they do so more often, for a total of 78%. Only 22% shopped in stores less often. “Tech is making the biggest impact with consumers when it reduces friction and pain points in the store experience,” said Katherine Cullen, NRF director of retail and consumer insights. Click & collect is key here, she said.

NRF found nearly 70% of consumers surveyed had heard of click & collect and half had already tried it. “The vast majority who tried said it improved their shopping experience,” she added.

Research Store

Featured Video

Subscribe to
Home Textiles Today eDaily
Receive the news you need to know about the trends in the industry delivered right to your inbox.

Most Viewed Articles

CURRENT ISSUE

HTT November 2017 cover

See the November 2017 issue of Home Textiles Today. In this issue, we look at Complex Colors, Complex Times--Trend forecasters and interior designers weigh in on 2018 palettes and motifs.  Other articles include: Data: Exclusive HTT soft window research; Innovation: Material Changes conference preview; Country report: India invests in the future and Fabrics: Showtime preview.  See details!