Walmart U.S gains on Q2 store traffic flow
August 17, 2017,
Bentonville, Ark. – Walmart U.S. has something many other retailers are struggling to generate: positive store traffic.
It recently wrapped its 11th consecutive quarter of positive comp traffic and 12th consecutive quarter of positive comp sales.
- Online transactions grew 60%.
- Walmart is using machine learning to assist merchants with pricing.
- It is testing digital endless aisle shopping, robotics and image analytics to scan aisles for out-of-stocks.
- It continues testing associate delivery of Walmart.com orders in a few stores.
- By the end of the year, it will have approximately 100 automated pickup towers in stores across the United States
- The Scan & Go test at Sam’s Club will expand to Walmart U.S. this year.
For the quarter, sales at Walmart U.S. stores rose 3.3% to $78.7 billion, with comp up 1.8%. Traffic was up 1.3% and average ticket up 0.5%.
Comp sales and traffic were solid across the home and hardlines categories during the quarter, the company said.
Sales at Sam’s Club increased 2.3% to $14.9 billion, with comp up 2.1%. Traffic was up 2.1%, but average ticket fell 0.9%.
Most categories in homelines and apparel turned in a strong performance, led by outdoor living, toys and kitchen.
Total company operating income declined 3.2% to $5.97 billion. Consolidated sales increased 2.1% to $123.4 billion.
Wal-Mart bumped up the low end of its guidance for the fiscal year to earnings per share of $4.30 and $4.40. It previously forecasted EPS of between $4.20 and $4.40 a share.
Related Content By Author
TEN Collection Wows High Point Market
Home Textiles Today eDaily
Most Viewed Articles
See the November 2017 issue of Home Textiles Today. In this issue, we look at Complex Colors, Complex Times--Trend forecasters and interior designers weigh in on 2018 palettes and motifs. Other articles include: Data: Exclusive HTT soft window research; Innovation: Material Changes conference preview; Country report: India invests in the future and Fabrics: Showtime preview.