Ready. Set. Market
Jennifer Marks -- Home Textiles Today, 9/21/2011 7:43:53 AM
NOTEBOOKS AT THE READY! It's time to plunge into the fall New York Home Fashions Market.
Based on what we've heard about and eyeballed so far, here's what to expect:
Technology: In utility bedding and sheeting especially, the early signs points to an emphasis on technological innovation. Look for proprietary fibers, finishes and applications. I'm not seeing much in this vein so far on the bath towel end of things, but then again, I've mostly been previewing with bedding folks.
Marketing with an emphasis on social media: The first QR tag marketing efforts made an appearance during market week last March. Some of the more aggressive suppliers have since been working to significantly beefing up their messaging outreach and consumer interactions on social media. Major retailers have been pushing capital expenditures in this direction in recent months, so it only stands to reason that vendors would step up their game here.
Vibrant color, pattern and texture: There might not be much of it about on retail floors at the majors, but undaunted manufacturers continue to produce. The vivid hues appearing in fall apparel collections are readily available in showrooms in the city. Think color and pattern won't sell? You obviously didn't try to access Target's website the day the Missoni collection went live.
More talk about flash sale sites: They're still a minor factor, but they're growing like Topsy. They also give suppliers more branding control. And several of their buyers will be in market.
More tussling about pricing: Cotton prices, while lower than they were at this time last year, are still higher than they were two years ago. Retailers raised their pricing but didn't take the full hit on higher raw material costs. Suppliers aren't in the mood - let alone the financial position - to provide make-goods there.
It's shaping up to be another interesting market.
We would love your feedback!
Most Recent Resources
- Getting the most out of offline leads
- Free Shipping and the Importance of Onsite Promotion
- Should Branded Manufacturers Participate in Flash Sales?
- Rugs 101 - Special Edition
- How Big Is Your Label
- Choosing a Web Site Developer
- Convergence: Tie Your Online & Offline Experience...
- Social Networks to Social Shopping
- Why Brands and Their Retailers are Facebook’s Biggest...
- Web Based Intelligence Gathering
- The Future of Tablets
- Shopatron: Bicycles & eCommerce
- A Guide to Holiday eCommerce Success
- Mattress Buying 101 - Connecting with Consumers
- Designing Your Brand’s Website for eCommerce
- Global Sourcing in 2010: Doing More With Less
- Comparing Four Options for Turning Web Site Traffic into...
- Are You Prepared for the 2009 Holiday Season? A Branded...
- Design, Develop, Deliver: The Three D's to Digitally...