Wearbest forges a new path
HTT Staff -- Home Textiles Today, 4/15/2011 11:46:52 AM
New York - Wearbest Sil-Tex Mills has weathered the recession by pivoting to a new strategy and embracing new markets.
"We have at the same time prudently cut and prudently invested," said Irwin Gasner, president of the fourth generation, family-owned fabric manufacturer. "The result has been explosive growth in placements in the past two years."
Wearbest still produces most of its goods at its plant in Garfield, N.J.
The long-time manufacturer for the residential market has found growth in the health, hospitality, indoor/outdoor and casual furniture sectors. While the number of Wearbest employees does not match the pre-globalization tally, the company is now up to 90 employees.
"We rebuilt back from the bottom," said Gasner. "The beginning of 2010, that's when we started to see the plan gaining traction."
Even the residential business is showing improvement, he said.
"Since upholstery fabrics at the mid- to high-end are so expensive, no one can afford to buy the level of inventory an Asian mills would require," he explained.
Wearbest is addresses the situation by offering short runs, proprietary design, a commitment to resolving problems and "manic turn-around time."
The mill's Bella- Dura high performance fabric, launched about six years ago, has expanded into contract and healthcare as well as the casual market. Wearbest has also developed performance fabrics for the healthcare market.
"We did not add capacity," said Gasner. "We investment in material to develop new products rather than hardware."
Next up, Wearbest plans to sign an agreement with a group that will work with its design studio on "a new and creative aesthetic" for the Bella-Dura line.
"We aren't just a sleepy little mill in New Jersey," said Gasner.
We would love your feedback!
Most Recent Resources
- Getting the most out of offline leads
- Free Shipping and the Importance of Onsite Promotion
- Should Branded Manufacturers Participate in Flash Sales?
- Rugs 101 - Special Edition
- How Big Is Your Label
- Choosing a Web Site Developer
- Convergence: Tie Your Online & Offline Experience...
- Social Networks to Social Shopping
- Why Brands and Their Retailers are Facebook’s Biggest...
- Web Based Intelligence Gathering
- The Future of Tablets
- Shopatron: Bicycles & eCommerce
- A Guide to Holiday eCommerce Success
- Mattress Buying 101 - Connecting with Consumers
- Designing Your Brand’s Website for eCommerce
- Global Sourcing in 2010: Doing More With Less
- Comparing Four Options for Turning Web Site Traffic into...
- Are You Prepared for the 2009 Holiday Season? A Branded...
- Design, Develop, Deliver: The Three D's to Digitally...