Fabric among products Walmart will begin stocking again
HTT Staff -- Home Textiles Today, 4/11/2011 2:53:26 PM
Bentonville, Ark. - Walmart U.S. said it will broaden its assortment by some 8,500 skus, reintroducing some items it had cut during an earlier bout of editing - including fabrics.
In 2009, Walmart began eliminating fabric departments in many stores as part of its upscaling remodel to lure higher-income shoppers out of food and commodities into its general merchandise departments.
The fabric strategy proved a boom to competitors like Jo-Ann stores, which in December 2009 said Walmart's move was opening up greater market share for the specialty retailer.
Restored products - many of them regional food favorites - will carry "It's Back" flags.
Walmart also will step up its price match policy and is launching a national TV advertising campaign today to support it.
This last summer I bought fabric at JoAnns to make my oldest granddaughter a dress for her birthday. My youngest granddaughter wanted one just like it for HER birthday and I was so happy to find the same exact Disney princess fabric at a Walmart in Bozeman, Montana (we were traveling across country). At Walmart the fabric and pattern were about one third the cost of what I had to pay at JoAnn Fabrics and the fabric department clerk was very helpful and knowlegible. I will shop for the next fabric I need at Walmart IF they have a fabric department at the stores in my area and while there I will also buy OTHER items I need. If I DON'T find a Walmart store with a fabric department it won't be worth my time to drive to a Walmart store and I'll just buy food and other necessities at a local store.Sandy Berrett - 2011-11-28 09:35:19 EST
Why can't the Zebulon store stock fabric. We are 25 mile from a fabric store. I have ask but no good answers. We have several quilting group in ZEBULON.ALICE Jones - 2011-10-24 08:46:23 EDT
I am so excited. I live on the Eastern Shore of VA and we have no Jo-Ann's nearby. All of the Walmart's eliminated their fabric depts. When will the departments be back in service? Please let us know. It's August and I know they are not in any of the 4 Walmart's within a reasonable distance of my island!Gail Ficken - 2011-08-02 10:29:29 EDT
I can;t buy and frabic now what it going to happed when you all stop selling it I can;t buy fake fur and where u all seem to think it doesnt matter to anyone if you cloes down the crafts department but it does. i buy all my craft and frabric their i think you all are selfish in diong this. I there was another place that had frabic and things like you have i would go there instead of Walmart.Tamara Patterson - 2011-07-30 16:36:38 EDT
I heard it from the former manager of the fabric department at the local Walmart that fabric by the yard will be coming back. For those who think the quality is cheaper, I say check your fabric names, many of these are also sold in local fabric stores, no difference.RFB - 2011-07-27 11:18:38 EDT
Most Recent Resources
- Getting the most out of offline leads
- Free Shipping and the Importance of Onsite Promotion
- Should Branded Manufacturers Participate in Flash Sales?
- Rugs 101 - Special Edition
- How Big Is Your Label
- Choosing a Web Site Developer
- Convergence: Tie Your Online & Offline Experience...
- Social Networks to Social Shopping
- Why Brands and Their Retailers are Facebook’s Biggest...
- Web Based Intelligence Gathering
- The Future of Tablets
- Shopatron: Bicycles & eCommerce
- A Guide to Holiday eCommerce Success
- Mattress Buying 101 - Connecting with Consumers
- Designing Your Brand’s Website for eCommerce
- Global Sourcing in 2010: Doing More With Less
- Comparing Four Options for Turning Web Site Traffic into...
- Are You Prepared for the 2009 Holiday Season? A Branded...
- Design, Develop, Deliver: The Three D's to Digitally...