Top of Bed Shows Small Improvement
Jill Rowen -- Home Textiles Today, 2/8/2011 7:16:12 AM
NEW YORK - An improving economic picture helped boost the Top of Bed category in 2011, despite serious pricing pressures on all sides. The first of HTT's bedding reports (Utility Bedding and Sheets and Pillowcases will follow), the Top of Bed category managed a 2% increase overall. Sales were up to $2.55 billion in 2010 compared to $2.0 billion in 2009.
Within the categories, comforters sets and filled bedding sets showed the smallest gain - only 1.7%. The category with the largest gain was quilts with a 2.8% increase. Current trend darlings, quilts are now top of mind for a number of suppliers, who are hoping to ignite the category further with new and updated designs.
Peking Handicraft Inc. (PHI) is one of the companies leading the quilt charge. According to Carole Antone, creative director, "We are still doing traditional quilts, but transitional looks and cottage ‘shabby chic' styles are new ways to interpret the look of quilts. They are cleaner, brighter and up to date." PHI is also giving its bedding extensive embellishments and embroidery details, and trying to do it while combating rising prices. A trend that may have begun as cotton prices rose; Antone noted that "there is a non-cotton trend out there." According to Antone, "We are building on that trend with brushed poly looks with very cool finishes that look great. And, we are doing creative things with embroidery and embellishments."
For the complete report, see the Feb 7 print issue of Home Textiles Today, or click here for the exclusive electronic report.
We would love your feedback!
Most Recent Resources
- Getting the most out of offline leads
- Free Shipping and the Importance of Onsite Promotion
- Should Branded Manufacturers Participate in Flash Sales?
- Rugs 101 - Special Edition
- How Big Is Your Label
- Choosing a Web Site Developer
- Convergence: Tie Your Online & Offline Experience...
- Social Networks to Social Shopping
- Why Brands and Their Retailers are Facebook’s Biggest...
- Web Based Intelligence Gathering
- The Future of Tablets
- Shopatron: Bicycles & eCommerce
- A Guide to Holiday eCommerce Success
- Mattress Buying 101 - Connecting with Consumers
- Designing Your Brand’s Website for eCommerce
- Global Sourcing in 2010: Doing More With Less
- Comparing Four Options for Turning Web Site Traffic into...
- Are You Prepared for the 2009 Holiday Season? A Branded...
- Design, Develop, Deliver: The Three D's to Digitally...