Belk Boosts Profit
Home Textiles Today Staff -- Home Textiles Today, 9/24/2010 4:31:32 AM
CHARLOTTE, N.C. - Improved margins helped pump profit handsomely at Belk Inc. during the second quarter.
Net income rose 31.9% to $12.4 million for the quarter ended July 31 at the privately held company.
Sales rose 3.6% to $787.7 million, with comps up 4.1%.
"Customer response to fresh fashions produced solid same-store sales gains. We were pleased to see second quarter sales trends maintaining at healthy margins. Denim, shoes and dresses were the best performing categories, and our men's business was also strong," said Tim Belk, chairman and ceo.
For the first half, net income increased to $36.8 million compared to $10.0 million for the same 26-week period last year. Net income excluding non-comparable items was $36.5 million compared to $10.1 million for the same 26-week period last year.
Belk is in the process of remodeling four stores: Hamilton Place Mall, Chattanooga, Tenn., Turtle Creek Mall in Hattiesburg, Miss., University Mall in Tuscaloosa, Ala., and Hupps Mill Plaza in South Boston, Va. They will hold grand reopenings Oct. 13.
We would love your feedback!
Most Recent Resources
- Getting the most out of offline leads
- Free Shipping and the Importance of Onsite Promotion
- Should Branded Manufacturers Participate in Flash Sales?
- Rugs 101 - Special Edition
- How Big Is Your Label
- Choosing a Web Site Developer
- Convergence: Tie Your Online & Offline Experience...
- Social Networks to Social Shopping
- Why Brands and Their Retailers are Facebook’s Biggest...
- Web Based Intelligence Gathering
- The Future of Tablets
- Shopatron: Bicycles & eCommerce
- A Guide to Holiday eCommerce Success
- Mattress Buying 101 - Connecting with Consumers
- Designing Your Brand’s Website for eCommerce
- Global Sourcing in 2010: Doing More With Less
- Comparing Four Options for Turning Web Site Traffic into...
- Are You Prepared for the 2009 Holiday Season? A Branded...
- Design, Develop, Deliver: The Three D's to Digitally...