Chandler looks to broaden appeal
By Cecile B. Corral -- Home Textiles Today, 1/7/2002 12:00:00 AM
MANCHESTER, VT —
Upscale accent rug, decorative pillow and throw importer Chandler Four Corners is adding a new decorative pillow construction which will result in a more competitive, and previously unseen, price point for the company.
For the first time in its 10-year existence, Chandler Four Corners is introducing a new line of decorative redwork design pillows that represent a more affordable retail price than that of its typical wool applique and wool hook pillow offerings.
Redwork, a vintage needlework technique featuring designs done entirely in red threading, was popular in the early 1900s.
"It's an antique pillow with a real vintage look," Kathy Hom, sales manager, told HTT. "Our designer came across it and decided it was a good look for us to try."
The new redwork pillows are set to retail at $45 each — less than half the price of Chandler Four Corners' $98 wool applique and wool hook pillows, Hom said.
"We typically sell more high-end product, but high-end is a very niche customer, and this new price point for us covers more territory," Hom said.
Although the pillow's price point is lower than usual, Chandler Four Corners will continue pursuing its current customer base with the new product — independent specialty, furniture and gift stores and catalogs.
The new line does not coordinate with any of Chandler Four Corners' rug collections or new throw lines, "but it does go with one of our new American groupings," Hom added.
Accent rugs occupy the bulk of Chandler Four Corners' business at 60 percent; decorative pillows make up the remaining 40 percent. Throws, the company's newest category, was introduced in July and "so far has been received very well by our customers," Hom said. However, she added that while its throw business is still growing, it does not yet make up a significant portion of the overall business.
All of Chandler Four Corners' offerings are imported from overseas.
We would love your feedback!