Welspun Acquires Portuguese Bath Specialist Sorema
By Staff -- Home Textiles Today, 1/7/2008 12:00:00 AM
Mumbai, India —
Home textiles manufacturer Welspun has taken over Portugal-based Sorema, a supplier of luxury bath rugs, bath accessories and shower curtains.
Welspun confirmed to HTT that its Welspun India Ltd. unit has purchased a controlling stake (76%) in Sorema Tapates e Cortinas de Banho, SA, for an "enterprise value" of $R 600 million (approximately $15.2 million U.S.)
The acquisition will provide Welspun with new retail accounts in Europe and a high-end product line with a $4 million foothold in the U.S. Specifically, Welspun said Sorema sells into 44 countries, but four of them — the United States, U.K., Spain and Germany — account for more than three-quarters of total volume.
With its roots as a major terry supplier and a powerful base in bath towel production, the Sorema acquisition dovetails with the anticipated spring 2008 opening of Welspun's new bath rug plant in India, as the company builds out beyond its core offering. Other facilities in Mexico, Portugal and the U.K. will contribute to the product offerings.
The move also tallies with the 2006 purchase of an 85% controlling interest in British terry producer Christy, which gave it a considerable step up in the better bath towel business in the U.K. and Europe.
We would love your feedback!
Most Recent Resources
- Getting the most out of offline leads
- Free Shipping and the Importance of Onsite Promotion
- Should Branded Manufacturers Participate in Flash Sales?
- Rugs 101 - Special Edition
- How Big Is Your Label
- Choosing a Web Site Developer
- Convergence: Tie Your Online & Offline Experience...
- Social Networks to Social Shopping
- Why Brands and Their Retailers are Facebook’s Biggest...
- Web Based Intelligence Gathering
- The Future of Tablets
- Shopatron: Bicycles & eCommerce
- A Guide to Holiday eCommerce Success
- Mattress Buying 101 - Connecting with Consumers
- Designing Your Brand’s Website for eCommerce
- Global Sourcing in 2010: Doing More With Less
- Comparing Four Options for Turning Web Site Traffic into...
- Are You Prepared for the 2009 Holiday Season? A Branded...
- Design, Develop, Deliver: The Three D's to Digitally...