La Pace looks ahead after five years
By Andrea Lillo -- Home Textiles Today, 9/9/2002 12:00:00 AM
GREAT BARRINGTON, MA —
Nestled in the leafy resort area of the Berkshires — far from Betsy Lee Workman's hometown of New York — the fine linens store La Pace recently celebrated its fifth anniversary.
Workman opened her store — named after the resort her grandparents visited in Italy for 30 years —with no experience in retail, though she was familiar with being on the other side of the register. "I was clearly born to shop," she said.
She was also born to decorate and loves helping customers beautify their beds, which she calls a "labor of love." She's even decorated bedrooms long distance, with only a photo to go on.
The personal service she gives to her customers, most of whom own a second home in the area, is one of the reasons she says she has a 90 percent customer return rate.
From the beginning the merchandise focused on the bed and bath, though over the years the assortment has trended up, she said. Anichini, Sferra, Mastro Rafael, Frette, The White House and Peacock Alley supply the majority of the bedding, while bath includes towels from Steven Drew, Raffia, Peacock Alley, Anichini and The White House. Mats are from Habidecor.
With five years of retail experience under her belt, Workman just added table linens to her assortment, staying mostly with her existing vendors like Anichini, though she's also added product from Sybaritic, Anali and others. Also in the works is an informational website, www.lapaceinc.com, which should be up and running soon, she said.
We would love your feedback!
Most Recent Resources
- Getting the most out of offline leads
- Free Shipping and the Importance of Onsite Promotion
- Should Branded Manufacturers Participate in Flash Sales?
- Rugs 101 - Special Edition
- How Big Is Your Label
- Choosing a Web Site Developer
- Convergence: Tie Your Online & Offline Experience...
- Social Networks to Social Shopping
- Why Brands and Their Retailers are Facebook’s Biggest...
- Web Based Intelligence Gathering
- The Future of Tablets
- Shopatron: Bicycles & eCommerce
- A Guide to Holiday eCommerce Success
- Mattress Buying 101 - Connecting with Consumers
- Designing Your Brand’s Website for eCommerce
- Global Sourcing in 2010: Doing More With Less
- Comparing Four Options for Turning Web Site Traffic into...
- Are You Prepared for the 2009 Holiday Season? A Branded...
- Design, Develop, Deliver: The Three D's to Digitally...