Study says retail employees looking for better work
By Staff -- Home Textiles Today, 1/21/2005 12:18:00 PM
CHICAGO — Finding a new job is a priority for 47 percent of retail workers, according to a new CareerBuilder.com survey.
The desire for higher compensation, a lighter workload and better career advancement opportunities are the top three factors motivating their plans to shop for a new job. The survey, "Retail Workers 2005," was conducted from Nov. 22, 2004 to Dec. 2, 2004 of more than 360 retail workers.
Forty-eight percent of retail workers say they do not look forward to going to work each day with more than half stating their paychecks are not providing enough incentive.Dissatisfaction with pay rose from 50 percent in August to 54 percent in the latest survey. Seventy-eight percent of retail workers say they did not receive a bonus in 2004 and 46 percent have not received a salary boost. Of those who were given a raise, more than one-third reported the raise was 3 percent or less.
More than two-thirds have observed their workloads rose significantly in the last six months and 35 percent say they struggle to maintain a healthy work/life balance. The pressure to meet the demands of their customers, employers and families has left 48 percent feeling excessive stress on the job.
Retail workers also voiced concern over the lack of a clear path for career advancement at their current employers. Four-in-10 report challenges with moving up the company ladder and one-fourth report being overlooked for a promotion.
We would love your feedback!
Most Recent Resources
- Getting the most out of offline leads
- Free Shipping and the Importance of Onsite Promotion
- Should Branded Manufacturers Participate in Flash Sales?
- Rugs 101 - Special Edition
- How Big Is Your Label
- Choosing a Web Site Developer
- Convergence: Tie Your Online & Offline Experience...
- Social Networks to Social Shopping
- Why Brands and Their Retailers are Facebook’s Biggest...
- Web Based Intelligence Gathering
- The Future of Tablets
- Shopatron: Bicycles & eCommerce
- A Guide to Holiday eCommerce Success
- Mattress Buying 101 - Connecting with Consumers
- Designing Your Brand’s Website for eCommerce
- Global Sourcing in 2010: Doing More With Less
- Comparing Four Options for Turning Web Site Traffic into...
- Are You Prepared for the 2009 Holiday Season? A Branded...
- Design, Develop, Deliver: The Three D's to Digitally...