Wal-Mart goal: cut plastic bags by one third
By Staff -- Home Textiles Today, 9/25/2008 1:17:00 PM
New York – Taking advantage of the Clinton Global Initiative Annual Meeting here today, mega-retailer Wal-Mart at the forum set a goal of reducing its plastic shopping bag wasted worldwide by 33% per store, within five years.
“This is expected to eliminate more than 135 million pounds of plastic waste globally,” the company said, specifically committing to “reduce the number of bags given out by its stores, encourage the use of reusable bags and give customers the ability to continue recycling plastic shopping bags.”
Matt Kistler, svp for sustainability of Wal-Mart Stores, Inc., said, “If we can encourage consumers to change their behavior, just one bag at a time, we believe real progress can be made toward our goal of creating zero waste." He said the measures outlined could “eliminate plastic waste equivalent to 9 billion plastic bags per year from our existing stores alone.”
Gwen Ruta, vp for corporate partnerships at Environmental Defense Fund, a partner in the effort, said, “Plastic bags clog our landfills, litter our roadways, harm sea turtles and other wildlife, and gobble energy in production. With this initiative, Wal-Mart is demonstrating that innovation leads to both business and environmental benefits -- a premise that underpins EDF’s work. I look to retailers everywhere to do the same.”
We would love your feedback!
- Mar 24, 2010
Family Dollar taps Hamblen for svp-customer marketing post, partners with 4R Systems for inventory enhancementsJan 11, 2010
- Jan 23, 2009
- Sep 16, 2008
- May 5, 2010
Most Recent Resources
- Getting the most out of offline leads
- Free Shipping and the Importance of Onsite Promotion
- Should Branded Manufacturers Participate in Flash Sales?
- Rugs 101 - Special Edition
- How Big Is Your Label
- Choosing a Web Site Developer
- Convergence: Tie Your Online & Offline Experience...
- Social Networks to Social Shopping
- Why Brands and Their Retailers are Facebook’s Biggest...
- Web Based Intelligence Gathering
- The Future of Tablets
- Shopatron: Bicycles & eCommerce
- A Guide to Holiday eCommerce Success
- Mattress Buying 101 - Connecting with Consumers
- Designing Your Brand’s Website for eCommerce
- Global Sourcing in 2010: Doing More With Less
- Comparing Four Options for Turning Web Site Traffic into...
- Are You Prepared for the 2009 Holiday Season? A Branded...
- Design, Develop, Deliver: The Three D's to Digitally...