Costco to shut down its Costco Home experiment
-- Home Textiles Today, 4/2/2009 1:24:00 PM
Issaquah, Wash. – Membership warehouse club operator Costco Wholesale Corp. said today that it plans to permanently shut down its two Costco Home stores.
The two test sites – located in Kirkland, Wash., and Tempe, Ariz. – are scheduled to be closed on July 3.
"Costco Home has been a valuable experiment for us,” said Jim Sinegal, ceo. “We provided a competitive home furnishings alternative to our members in two locations and learned a great deal about home furnishings in the process.”
But because of the economy’s downturn and its negative effects on the home furnishings industry “in particular,” he continued, “have led us to conclude that the single-format Costco Home concept does not fit into our long-term expansion plans.”
As the current lease obligations for these sites near their end, “it made sense,” Sinegal added, “for us to make this difficult decision now.”
Home furnishings products will continue to be sold at the warehouse club chain’s other 407 U.S. locations.
Costco is not planning any further closures, except for the relocation of its warehouse facilities, the company said.
Aside from its warehouse clubs nationwide, Costco also operates 76 stores in Canada, 21 in the United Kingdom, six in Korea, five in Taiwan, eight in Japan and 31 in Mexico. The company also operates two ecommerce web sites -- www.costco.com in the United States and www.costco.ca in Canada.
We would love your feedback!
Most Recent Resources
- Getting the most out of offline leads
- Free Shipping and the Importance of Onsite Promotion
- Should Branded Manufacturers Participate in Flash Sales?
- Rugs 101 - Special Edition
- How Big Is Your Label
- Choosing a Web Site Developer
- Convergence: Tie Your Online & Offline Experience...
- Social Networks to Social Shopping
- Why Brands and Their Retailers are Facebook’s Biggest...
- Web Based Intelligence Gathering
- The Future of Tablets
- Shopatron: Bicycles & eCommerce
- A Guide to Holiday eCommerce Success
- Mattress Buying 101 - Connecting with Consumers
- Designing Your Brand’s Website for eCommerce
- Global Sourcing in 2010: Doing More With Less
- Comparing Four Options for Turning Web Site Traffic into...
- Are You Prepared for the 2009 Holiday Season? A Branded...
- Design, Develop, Deliver: The Three D's to Digitally...