Fabric trends forecast: jewel tones, geometrics
By Carole Sloan -- Home Textiles Today, 4/30/2001 12:00:00 AM
NEW YORK — Geometrics with a softened outline and jewel tones that embrace topaz, ruby, emerald and citrine are the fashion-forward statements in the fabric trends forecast from Cotton Inc. called "No Place Like Home."
The geometric motifs are softer, more sensual than the more rigid geometrics of the past, said Liz Hough, senior director, fashion marketing, home fabrics.
Called "Geometrics Take Heart," the fashion-forward statement looks are softer, rounder, more feminine shapes, Hough explained. "Lines are squiggly, there's a lot of Pucchi, Miro, Frank Lloyd Wright influences."
In fabrics for this statement, Hough sees sculpted velours and terries, linear metallic designs and textures ranging from seersucker to chenille.
For most forward color statements, Hough sees Jewel, a palette of gemstones incorporating the mood of brights but toning them down.
Beyond the fashion-forward statements, Hough pointed to Homespun, Natural Intelligence and Courageous Behavior as new direction for fabrics for 2003.
Homespun, Hough explained, presents a "wholesome fabric look with handiwork, ginghams, crewels, ribbons, liserie, appliques and handloomed effects."
Natural Intelligence focuses on nature using ombres, stencil effects, ikats and prints. Courageous Behavior is more regal, traditional, and full of luxury, lush formal embroideries, embossed terries and mercerized cotton threads.
While the jewel colors are more fashion forward, Hough sees color excitement emerging from "Lollipop" — bright, sensual, and tasteful colors that "are great accents like strong yellows, citrons, and tangerine."
Kansas, another color statement, reflects the easy, laid-back neutral family of colors that range from pale straw to icy crystal pink and weathered brown.
The Twister palette highlights deep, saturated tones with deep gray, dusty green, and ochre.
We would love your feedback!
Most Recent Resources
- Getting the most out of offline leads
- Free Shipping and the Importance of Onsite Promotion
- Should Branded Manufacturers Participate in Flash Sales?
- Rugs 101 - Special Edition
- How Big Is Your Label
- Choosing a Web Site Developer
- Convergence: Tie Your Online & Offline Experience...
- Social Networks to Social Shopping
- Why Brands and Their Retailers are Facebook’s Biggest...
- Web Based Intelligence Gathering
- The Future of Tablets
- Shopatron: Bicycles & eCommerce
- A Guide to Holiday eCommerce Success
- Mattress Buying 101 - Connecting with Consumers
- Designing Your Brand’s Website for eCommerce
- Global Sourcing in 2010: Doing More With Less
- Comparing Four Options for Turning Web Site Traffic into...
- Are You Prepared for the 2009 Holiday Season? A Branded...
- Design, Develop, Deliver: The Three D's to Digitally...