Staff -- Home Textiles Today, 5/27/2002 12:00:00 AM
Wal-Mart to buy stake in Japanese chain
Wal-Mart has received shareholder approval from Seiyu, a Japanese retail chain with more than $8 billion in sales, to acquire up to a 66.7 percent ownership stake in Seiyu by the end of 2007. The series of options would be worth approximately $2.0 billion. Wal-Mart will make an immediate investment worth 6.1 percent of Seiyu, or $46.0 million. According to John Menzer, president and ceo, Wal-Mart International, Wal-Mart will now continue its "learning stage" in Japan. Sumitomo Corp., a Japanese trading house, is also involved in the deal, and its additional investment will give it approximately 15.6 percent ownership in Seiyu.
Shop.org names eight new board members
Shop.org, the online retail group of the National Retail Federations (NRF) has elected eight new members to its board. With the new electees, there are 15 total members. Joining the board as retail members are Bill Bass, senior vp, e-commerce and international, Lands' End; Julia Bornstein, vp, e-commerce, Nordstrom; Gene Domecus, senior vp, e-commerce, Macys.com/Federated Direct; Dennis Honan, vp and general manager, customer direct, Sears; Monica Luechtefeld, executive vp, e-commerce, Office Depot; and Susan Neal, vp, business development, Gymboree. Joining the board as associate members are Elaine Rubin, partner, Retail Options, and Julie Michaelson, vp, retail interactive marketing, American Online Inc.
We would love your feedback!
Most Recent Resources
- Getting the most out of offline leads
- Free Shipping and the Importance of Onsite Promotion
- Should Branded Manufacturers Participate in Flash Sales?
- Rugs 101 - Special Edition
- How Big Is Your Label
- Choosing a Web Site Developer
- Convergence: Tie Your Online & Offline Experience...
- Social Networks to Social Shopping
- Why Brands and Their Retailers are Facebook’s Biggest...
- Web Based Intelligence Gathering
- The Future of Tablets
- Shopatron: Bicycles & eCommerce
- A Guide to Holiday eCommerce Success
- Mattress Buying 101 - Connecting with Consumers
- Designing Your Brand’s Website for eCommerce
- Global Sourcing in 2010: Doing More With Less
- Comparing Four Options for Turning Web Site Traffic into...
- Are You Prepared for the 2009 Holiday Season? A Branded...
- Design, Develop, Deliver: The Three D's to Digitally...