Confidence Rebounds in May
By Staff -- Home Textiles Today, 6/4/2007 12:00:00 AM
New York —
With Americans feeling more buoyant about current business conditions, consumer confidence bounced back in May from an April downturn, advancing by 1.6% to a level of 108.0 from 106.3 the month before, the Conference Board said.
Lynn Franco, director of the business think tank's Consumer Research Center, said, "The bounce-back in confidence was due primarily to a more upbeat assessment of present-day business conditions. Consumers' view of the job market, both present and six months form now, was little changed and did not provide a boost in confidence."
Despite the rebound in May, "the short-term outlook remains cautious, and rising gasoline prices are having a negative impact on consumers' inflation expectations. All in all, confidence levels continue to suggest growth, albeit at a slow pace."
Consumers' views of current conditions were more upbeat in May, with the number claiming conditions are good rising to 29.4% from 27.5% in April. The number who described conditions as bad was unchanged at 14.5%.
Consumers were also more neutral about the job market, with the number who say jobs are hard to get dipping to 19.9% from 20.3%. The number who said jobs are plentiful was unchanged at 29.0%.
Looking out six months, consumers remain cautious, said The Conference Board. The number who expect conditions to improve rose to 15.1% from 13.8%, while the number who expect conditions to worsen advanced as well, rising to 10.1% from 9.7%. The outlook for the job market six months out was unchanged, with the number who expect more jobs holding steady at 13.3%, while 15.7% expect fewer jobs, also unchanged.
The number who expect their income to increase fell to 17.7% from 18.4% in April.
Confidence by Region
|Source: The Conference Board
|East North Central||19.2|
|West North Central||-1.9|
|East South Central||-0.7|
|West South Central||2.1|
Buying Plans in May
Plans to purchase over the next six months
|Source: The Conference Board
We would love your feedback!
Most Recent Resources
- Getting the most out of offline leads
- Free Shipping and the Importance of Onsite Promotion
- Should Branded Manufacturers Participate in Flash Sales?
- Rugs 101 - Special Edition
- How Big Is Your Label
- Choosing a Web Site Developer
- Convergence: Tie Your Online & Offline Experience...
- Social Networks to Social Shopping
- Why Brands and Their Retailers are Facebook’s Biggest...
- Web Based Intelligence Gathering
- The Future of Tablets
- Shopatron: Bicycles & eCommerce
- A Guide to Holiday eCommerce Success
- Mattress Buying 101 - Connecting with Consumers
- Designing Your Brand’s Website for eCommerce
- Global Sourcing in 2010: Doing More With Less
- Comparing Four Options for Turning Web Site Traffic into...
- Are You Prepared for the 2009 Holiday Season? A Branded...
- Design, Develop, Deliver: The Three D's to Digitally...