Belk ekes out 1Q profit, in line with expectations
-- Home Textiles Today, 5/27/2009 2:27:00 PM
Charlotte, N.C. -- Family owned Belk Stores today reported a first quarter profit of $500,000, well off the $5.1 million the retailer reported in last year’s first quarter.
“First-quarter results were in line with our expectations,” said Tim Belk, chairman and ceo. “Although results continue to reflect the weakened economy, we have begun to see some stabilization in the operating environment, which is positive.”
The balance sheet, he added, had more than $250 million in cash, almost twice the amount Belk had at the end of the year-ago period.
Sales for the first quarter ended May 2 fell 6.9% to $760.9 million, with comps dropping off 7.7%.
The 308-unit regional department store opened three new stores during the quarter: Newman and Winder, Ga.; and Richmond, Ky. Belk also completed a store expansion in Knoxville, Tenn., and is on track to compete store expansions later this year in Ashland, Ky., and Hilton Head Island, N.C.
We would love your feedback!
Most Recent Resources
- Getting the most out of offline leads
- Free Shipping and the Importance of Onsite Promotion
- Should Branded Manufacturers Participate in Flash Sales?
- Rugs 101 - Special Edition
- How Big Is Your Label
- Choosing a Web Site Developer
- Convergence: Tie Your Online & Offline Experience...
- Social Networks to Social Shopping
- Why Brands and Their Retailers are Facebook’s Biggest...
- Web Based Intelligence Gathering
- The Future of Tablets
- Shopatron: Bicycles & eCommerce
- A Guide to Holiday eCommerce Success
- Mattress Buying 101 - Connecting with Consumers
- Designing Your Brand’s Website for eCommerce
- Global Sourcing in 2010: Doing More With Less
- Comparing Four Options for Turning Web Site Traffic into...
- Are You Prepared for the 2009 Holiday Season? A Branded...
- Design, Develop, Deliver: The Three D's to Digitally...