Mohawk, DuPont gain ‘triexta’ fiber designation
-- Home Textiles Today, 3/30/2009 10:47:00 AM
Calhoun, Ga. – After about three years of petitioning for a name change that describes its more sustainable version of polyester fibers for carpet and rug production, Mohawk Industries has gained a new sub-classification from the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) for its PTT fiber product.
Previously classified more generically as polyester, the FTC now recognizes that PTT fiber – the fiber used in Mohawk SmartStrand-branded carpets and that DuPont sells under its Sorona brand – is worthy of its own subclass called “triexta.”
Triexta has been determined to be superior to standard polyester, and shares little more than a similar chemical structure.
In early 2006, Mohawk and DuPont jointly petitioned the FTC to establish a new fiber subclass within the existing classification of polyester. Mohawk's own SmartStrand-branded carpets are made from triexta, which is marketed by DuPont under the trademark Sorona label.
"We petitioned the FTC for reclassification because our retail partners told us that the current generic name was misleading to consumers and that retailers found it difficult to clearly communicate the benefits of this different and superior product when it fell into the same category as traditional polyester products," said Jeff Lorberbaum, chairman and ceo. "We are thrilled with the FTC's ruling, particularly because of the business benefits it brings to our retailers. Carpets with triexta offer a true performance advantage to consumers."
Triexta fiber is available in a variety of Mohawk floor coverings, including SmartStrand and SmartStrand with DuPont Sorona renewably sourced polymer.
We would love your feedback!
Most Recent Resources
- Getting the most out of offline leads
- Free Shipping and the Importance of Onsite Promotion
- Should Branded Manufacturers Participate in Flash Sales?
- Rugs 101 - Special Edition
- How Big Is Your Label
- Choosing a Web Site Developer
- Convergence: Tie Your Online & Offline Experience...
- Social Networks to Social Shopping
- Why Brands and Their Retailers are Facebook’s Biggest...
- Web Based Intelligence Gathering
- The Future of Tablets
- Shopatron: Bicycles & eCommerce
- A Guide to Holiday eCommerce Success
- Mattress Buying 101 - Connecting with Consumers
- Designing Your Brand’s Website for eCommerce
- Global Sourcing in 2010: Doing More With Less
- Comparing Four Options for Turning Web Site Traffic into...
- Are You Prepared for the 2009 Holiday Season? A Branded...
- Design, Develop, Deliver: The Three D's to Digitally...