Stein Mart sees brighter future
By Staff -- Home Textiles Today, 5/19/2005 12:32:00 PM
JACKSONVILLE , Fla. — Stein Mart is anticipating an upturn in its sputtering home business beginning in the second half of this year and into spring as a result of new leadership and other improvements, the company said during its first quarter conference call today.
“The home area continues to lag, but we have hired a new (general merchandise manager) over home and look forward to getting a new perspective on this important vision,” said Michael Fisher, president and CEO. He was referring to the recent appointment of Kassie Jones as vice president and general merchandising manager for the home area.
Helped by stronger sales and margins, coupled with the complete elimination of interest expense, Stein Mart drove first quarter earnings up 45.8 percent, to $16.8 million. Sales rose 4.7 percent to $380.7 million, and comps improved 3.2 percent.
Wall Street and investors responded to the good news by pushing the retailer's stock up almost 10 percent in value in mid-day trading after the news came out. Stein Mart stock shot up 9.8 percent, or $2.29 a share, to $25.72. Action in the stock was unusually heavy — by mid-day more than tripling the average daily trading volume.
We would love your feedback!
Most Recent Resources
- Getting the most out of offline leads
- Free Shipping and the Importance of Onsite Promotion
- Should Branded Manufacturers Participate in Flash Sales?
- Rugs 101 - Special Edition
- How Big Is Your Label
- Choosing a Web Site Developer
- Convergence: Tie Your Online & Offline Experience...
- Social Networks to Social Shopping
- Why Brands and Their Retailers are Facebook’s Biggest...
- Web Based Intelligence Gathering
- The Future of Tablets
- Shopatron: Bicycles & eCommerce
- A Guide to Holiday eCommerce Success
- Mattress Buying 101 - Connecting with Consumers
- Designing Your Brand’s Website for eCommerce
- Global Sourcing in 2010: Doing More With Less
- Comparing Four Options for Turning Web Site Traffic into...
- Are You Prepared for the 2009 Holiday Season? A Branded...
- Design, Develop, Deliver: The Three D's to Digitally...