Crown Crafts Clarifies Bib Recall
By Staff -- Home Textiles Today, 5/21/2007 12:00:00 AM
Gonzales, La. —
Infant products maker Crown Crafts Inc. said it and some retail customers are voluntarily recalling from retail shelves in Illinois a number of baby bibs partly made of vinyl containing quantities of lead which exceed those allowed under a new Illinois state standard.
E. Randall Chestnut, Crown Crafts ceo, said a new Illinois standard enacted earlier this year, "is much more stringent and uses a substantially different test methodology than the one used by the federal Consumer Products Safety Commission (CPSC)." All the bibs involved, three separate designs, said Chestnut, "meet every federal CPSC standard, without exception."
Chestnut said the Illinois law measured the amount of lead in a product, while the CPSC rule examines the amount of lead that a child might have access to while teething or chewing on the bib. CPSC nationwide testing of a range of bibs from various retailers nationwide concluded, "None of the bibs that were tested at CPSC's laboratory would pose a risk of substantial illness to children from mouthing."
"We take the well-being and safety of children very seriously. The company takes great pride in our products, which are manufactured with high-quality materials that are tested to meet U.S. consumer product safety standards," said Chestnut.
The bibs were imported from China by Crown Crafts' Hamco subsidiary.
Chestnut said Crown Crafts' net income for the current fourth quarter will be reduced by about $200,000, or $0.02 per diluted share, as a result of the voluntary recall.
We would love your feedback!
Most Recent Resources
- Getting the most out of offline leads
- Free Shipping and the Importance of Onsite Promotion
- Should Branded Manufacturers Participate in Flash Sales?
- Rugs 101 - Special Edition
- How Big Is Your Label
- Choosing a Web Site Developer
- Convergence: Tie Your Online & Offline Experience...
- Social Networks to Social Shopping
- Why Brands and Their Retailers are Facebook’s Biggest...
- Web Based Intelligence Gathering
- The Future of Tablets
- Shopatron: Bicycles & eCommerce
- A Guide to Holiday eCommerce Success
- Mattress Buying 101 - Connecting with Consumers
- Designing Your Brand’s Website for eCommerce
- Global Sourcing in 2010: Doing More With Less
- Comparing Four Options for Turning Web Site Traffic into...
- Are You Prepared for the 2009 Holiday Season? A Branded...
- Design, Develop, Deliver: The Three D's to Digitally...