NRF survey says gasoline prices having ripple effect
By Staff -- Home Textiles Today, 5/19/2004 12:00:00 AM
WASHINGTON — According to the National Retail Federation, high gas prices are causing some consumers to think twice about how they spend their money. Although nearly half of consumers (43.2 percent) do not believe gas prices will have a major impact on their spending, others are choosing to scale back on vacation plans, new clothes, and groceries, stated the NRF.
According to the survey, nearly one in three consumers (31.6 percent) plan to trim or halt travel and vacation plans due to rising gas prices. Consumers also plan to reduce the number of times they eat out (26.9 percent), will spend less on clothing (20.9 percent) and will cut back on groceries (15.9 percent). Some consumers (13.6 percent) are delaying major purchases like cars, television sets, and furniture.
"Retailers know that when consumers are forced to spend more of their disposable income on gasoline, they will scale back spending in other areas," said NRF President and CEO Tracy Mullin. "Ultimately, higher prices at the pump act as an additional tax on consumers, and consumers don't like to be taxed."
We would love your feedback!
Most Recent Resources
- Getting the most out of offline leads
- Free Shipping and the Importance of Onsite Promotion
- Should Branded Manufacturers Participate in Flash Sales?
- Rugs 101 - Special Edition
- How Big Is Your Label
- Choosing a Web Site Developer
- Convergence: Tie Your Online & Offline Experience...
- Social Networks to Social Shopping
- Why Brands and Their Retailers are Facebook’s Biggest...
- Web Based Intelligence Gathering
- The Future of Tablets
- Shopatron: Bicycles & eCommerce
- A Guide to Holiday eCommerce Success
- Mattress Buying 101 - Connecting with Consumers
- Designing Your Brand’s Website for eCommerce
- Global Sourcing in 2010: Doing More With Less
- Comparing Four Options for Turning Web Site Traffic into...
- Are You Prepared for the 2009 Holiday Season? A Branded...
- Design, Develop, Deliver: The Three D's to Digitally...