Sphinx debuts Oasis handmade rugs
By Cecile B. Corral -- Home Textiles Today, 1/28/2002 12:00:00 AM
DALTON, GA —
Area rug importer and supplier Sphinx introduced its new Oasis division of handmade area rugs from India and China at the Atlanta International Area Rug Market earlier this month with the debut of 15 collections and dozens of patterns and designs.
Included in Oasis' initial offerings are some never-before-seen constructions — The Esquire collection of 100 percent hand-woven leather rugs; the Details collection of tufted wool rugs, which are hand-carved and hand-embroidered with rayon; and the Jazz collection of hand-tufted wool rugs accented with natural jute to add shine.
Also, the entire line is restricted to four sizes, with the main emphasis on the 5.6' x 8.6' dimension, "because it's the size that works better in the rooms of most customers' homes. I wanted the size that I know sticks and doesn't come back to the store," said Linda Harlow, managing director, Oasis. Harlow was formerly the area rug buyer for Macy's West.
The other sizes are: 2'6" x 10', 3'6" x 5'6" and 8' x 11'.
The Oasis line utilizes a variety of hand-made techniques, including hooking, hand tufting, hand knotting and embroidery.
Price points vary, based on construction and design. The range for a 5.6' x 8.6' is $160 for the Simplicity collection of 100 percent hand-loomed wool rugs through $1,299 for an Esquire rug.
During one of her presentations to retail buyers at the market, Harlow noted that Oasis — a division of Sphinx and part of Oriental Weavers — owns and operates its own offices in both India and China with full-time employees "to ensure that we get the best quality."
Aside from its 15 collections, Oasis also introduced a small test line of shapes accent rugs for the juvenile market.
We would love your feedback!
Most Recent Resources
- Getting the most out of offline leads
- Free Shipping and the Importance of Onsite Promotion
- Should Branded Manufacturers Participate in Flash Sales?
- Rugs 101 - Special Edition
- How Big Is Your Label
- Choosing a Web Site Developer
- Convergence: Tie Your Online & Offline Experience...
- Social Networks to Social Shopping
- Why Brands and Their Retailers are Facebook’s Biggest...
- Web Based Intelligence Gathering
- The Future of Tablets
- Shopatron: Bicycles & eCommerce
- A Guide to Holiday eCommerce Success
- Mattress Buying 101 - Connecting with Consumers
- Designing Your Brand’s Website for eCommerce
- Global Sourcing in 2010: Doing More With Less
- Comparing Four Options for Turning Web Site Traffic into...
- Are You Prepared for the 2009 Holiday Season? A Branded...
- Design, Develop, Deliver: The Three D's to Digitally...