French and Strongbow forge new Duckwall-ALCO board
By Staff -- Home Textiles Today, 3/7/2008 12:18:00 PM
Abilene, Kan. – Rural retailer Duckwall-ALCO has defused a potential proxy battle by altering the makeup of its board of directors and bidding farewell to its chairman, Warren Gfeller.
Strongarmed by Cayman Islands-based investors Strongbow Capital and Raymond French, which own 14.3% of Duckwall-ALCO voting shares, the 261-store company accepted the immediate resignation of Gfeller and also of fellow director Robert Ring.
The new chairman of the board, Royce Winsten, was elected to the board last October. He is founder and managing director of Shore Capital Management of Sea Girt, N.J.
Two new directors, put forward by the insurgent investors, joined the board: French and James Hyde.
French and Strongbow had announced their intentions in mid-February, three days before the retailer said its president and ceo Bruce Dale was resigning immediately. In return for today’s action by Duckwall-ALCO management, the investors said they “do not intend to pursue a proxy contest” at the upcoming annual meeting of shareholders.
The full, seven-person board will stand for election at the annual meeting.
Duckwall-ALCO plans to release fourth quarter and full year results for the period ended Feb. 3 on April 17. It recently projected full-year EBITDA of $13 million on sales of $499 million.
Billy Woodruff - 2008-05-15 13:52:00 EDT
Duckwall ALCO will not improve until the current "Board of Directors" are replaced and "Glen Shank" is Called back to Clean up the Mess They have created. Bruce Dale (hired by former "Board Of Directors")was the wrong person to hire to replace "Glen Shank". The way the Company is going now is for a quick buck only and not to stabilize the Company for the long run
Most Recent Resources
- Getting the most out of offline leads
- Free Shipping and the Importance of Onsite Promotion
- Should Branded Manufacturers Participate in Flash Sales?
- Rugs 101 - Special Edition
- How Big Is Your Label
- Choosing a Web Site Developer
- Convergence: Tie Your Online & Offline Experience...
- Social Networks to Social Shopping
- Why Brands and Their Retailers are Facebook’s Biggest...
- Web Based Intelligence Gathering
- The Future of Tablets
- Shopatron: Bicycles & eCommerce
- A Guide to Holiday eCommerce Success
- Mattress Buying 101 - Connecting with Consumers
- Designing Your Brand’s Website for eCommerce
- Global Sourcing in 2010: Doing More With Less
- Comparing Four Options for Turning Web Site Traffic into...
- Are You Prepared for the 2009 Holiday Season? A Branded...
- Design, Develop, Deliver: The Three D's to Digitally...