Burlington Coat Factory aims for positive comps
By Staff -- Home Textiles Today, 10/19/2007 12:38:00 PM
Burlington, N.J. –Off-price retailer Burlington Coat Factory (BCF) continues to expect a 2% to 4% negative impact on comps as its new cash refund policy (partly an effort to cut shrinkage) plays out, said ceo Mark Nesci on the company’s first fiscal 2008 quarter conference call today.
Nesci said an inventory out-of-stock problem, another contributor to the comp drop, was being addressed by the 384-unit retailer.
Jack Moore, president of merchandising, marketing, planning and allocation, noted that the inventory cutback had been part of an initiative to make stores “more shoppable.” He added that BCF buyers are successfully negotiating to obtain increasing price markups. Moore said benefits will also accrue as the vendor list is trimmed and “as we grow with our most valuable resources.”
Asked about holiday advertising, Moore said the ad frequency would increase, noting, “When the ducks are flying, you gotta take some shots.”
BCF plans to re-open the 24 stores it will acquire from Value City by fall 2008 through spring 2009, part of its plan “to open more new stores each year,” said Nesci.
The 24 locations are in Ohio, Pennsylvania, New Jersey and Maryland, and Nesci characterized them as “proven retail locations” that will be part of the company’s planned 22 new stores for the fiscal year. In response to an analyst question, Nesci said Value City could offer additional locations for sale in the future, in which BCF may be interested.
We would love your feedback!
Most Recent Resources
- Getting the most out of offline leads
- Free Shipping and the Importance of Onsite Promotion
- Should Branded Manufacturers Participate in Flash Sales?
- Rugs 101 - Special Edition
- How Big Is Your Label
- Choosing a Web Site Developer
- Convergence: Tie Your Online & Offline Experience...
- Social Networks to Social Shopping
- Why Brands and Their Retailers are Facebook’s Biggest...
- Web Based Intelligence Gathering
- The Future of Tablets
- Shopatron: Bicycles & eCommerce
- A Guide to Holiday eCommerce Success
- Mattress Buying 101 - Connecting with Consumers
- Designing Your Brand’s Website for eCommerce
- Global Sourcing in 2010: Doing More With Less
- Comparing Four Options for Turning Web Site Traffic into...
- Are You Prepared for the 2009 Holiday Season? A Branded...
- Design, Develop, Deliver: The Three D's to Digitally...