Staff -- Home Textiles Today, 8/20/2001 12:00:00 AM
Ames to shutter 47 more stores
Nine months after announcing the closing of 32 stores, Ames will close another 47 stores by October, as it battles the continuing slow retail environment.
The store closings — with liquidation to begin immediately — will affect 2,000 employees, or 6 percent of the workforce. The closings represent 10 percent of Ames' 452 stores.
The stores are located in Ohio (15 locations), Pennsylvania (12), Indiana (6), Virginia (4), Illinois (3), New York (3), Maine (1), Maryland (1), North Carolina (1), West Virginia (1).
Target targets teens
Target's new Bullseye website, launched last week, hopes to be the destination of teens everywhere, covering what's new in fashion, beauty, music and events, as well as offering advice and quizzes. Not included on the site: product.
Wisconsin settles with Wal-Mart
The Wisconsin Department of Agriculture, Trade and Consumer Protection has settled a complaint it filed against Wal-Mart. The charge: Wal-Mart violated the state's Unfair Sales Act by selling some items below cost in 1998 and 1999. The state law prohibits retailers from pricing items below cost if it deems the pricing has an anti-competitive intent or effect.
Wal-Mart has since taken steps to improve its record keeping and has agreed to a penalty process if it violates the act.
Cost Plus promotes two
Cost Plus has promoted John Luttrell to senior vp, cfo, replacing John Hoffner, who is leaving to join Jack-in-the-Box as executive vp, cfo. The company also promoted Jane Baughman, a five-year Cost Plus veteran, to vp, financial planning and treasurer.
We would love your feedback!
Most Recent Resources
- Getting the most out of offline leads
- Free Shipping and the Importance of Onsite Promotion
- Should Branded Manufacturers Participate in Flash Sales?
- Rugs 101 - Special Edition
- How Big Is Your Label
- Choosing a Web Site Developer
- Convergence: Tie Your Online & Offline Experience...
- Social Networks to Social Shopping
- Why Brands and Their Retailers are Facebook’s Biggest...
- Web Based Intelligence Gathering
- The Future of Tablets
- Shopatron: Bicycles & eCommerce
- A Guide to Holiday eCommerce Success
- Mattress Buying 101 - Connecting with Consumers
- Designing Your Brand’s Website for eCommerce
- Global Sourcing in 2010: Doing More With Less
- Comparing Four Options for Turning Web Site Traffic into...
- Are You Prepared for the 2009 Holiday Season? A Branded...
- Design, Develop, Deliver: The Three D's to Digitally...