Williams-Sonoma to expand new businesses
By Staff -- Home Textiles Today, 2/27/2002 12:00:00 AM
San Francisco — Though Williams-Sonoma will play it conservatively this year, it still plans to drive top-line sales growth, improve operating efficiencies and operating margins and enhance shareholder value, Dale Hilbert, ceo, told analysts in a conference call. Several new businesses that have performed well will also expand, including the store base of Pottery Barn Kids and the company's direct-to-customer channel.
Williams-Sonoma plans to open 50 new stores this year, including 25 new Pottery Barn Kids locations — a 93 percent increase over PBK's present total of 27 stores — 15 Williams-Sonomas, 11 Pottery Barns, and two clearance locations. Also included in the new store count are three additional locations in Toronto, Canada, a market it broke into last year.
The performance of Pottery Barn Kids has also been exceeding plans. "It's impressive to watch the profit rate in a business that's relatively new," Hilbert said, and "bedding continues to be a huge deal." He also mentioned that the target audience was younger than expected but it has adapted to that. "What's exciting to me is the profitability per dollar sale is right up there with the best of our businesses," he said. "In a new business that's quite unusual."
In addition, Hilbert added, it will expand the merchandise assortment to support the growing seasonal gift businesses, since the customer response to testing this concept has "consistently exceeded expectations."
We would love your feedback!
Most Recent Resources
- Getting the most out of offline leads
- Free Shipping and the Importance of Onsite Promotion
- Should Branded Manufacturers Participate in Flash Sales?
- Rugs 101 - Special Edition
- How Big Is Your Label
- Choosing a Web Site Developer
- Convergence: Tie Your Online & Offline Experience...
- Social Networks to Social Shopping
- Why Brands and Their Retailers are Facebook’s Biggest...
- Web Based Intelligence Gathering
- The Future of Tablets
- Shopatron: Bicycles & eCommerce
- A Guide to Holiday eCommerce Success
- Mattress Buying 101 - Connecting with Consumers
- Designing Your Brand’s Website for eCommerce
- Global Sourcing in 2010: Doing More With Less
- Comparing Four Options for Turning Web Site Traffic into...
- Are You Prepared for the 2009 Holiday Season? A Branded...
- Design, Develop, Deliver: The Three D's to Digitally...