Comps gain despite harsh weather
-- Home Textiles Today, 2/17/2010 7:53:00 AM
New York – While back-to-back snowstorms in the East forced many stores to close ahead of Valentine’s Day, comps rose 1.8% during the second week of February, the Johnson Redbook reported today.
As of the week ended Feb. 13, same-store store sales were up 1.9% compared to February last year. Month-over-month comps rose 1.6% compared to January.
While discount store shoppers concentrated on practical weather-related items such as shovels, department store shoppers were on the hunt for winter wear, according to Catlin Levis, Redbook analyst. The quest was often futile, she said, “since retailers already cleared out winter goods due to lean inventories.”
She added: “Some retailers who are fully stocked in spring merchandise will continue to miss out on the opportunity to sell cold weather merchandise.”
We would love your feedback!
Most Recent Resources
- Getting the most out of offline leads
- Free Shipping and the Importance of Onsite Promotion
- Should Branded Manufacturers Participate in Flash Sales?
- Rugs 101 - Special Edition
- How Big Is Your Label
- Choosing a Web Site Developer
- Convergence: Tie Your Online & Offline Experience...
- Social Networks to Social Shopping
- Why Brands and Their Retailers are Facebook’s Biggest...
- Web Based Intelligence Gathering
- The Future of Tablets
- Shopatron: Bicycles & eCommerce
- A Guide to Holiday eCommerce Success
- Mattress Buying 101 - Connecting with Consumers
- Designing Your Brand’s Website for eCommerce
- Global Sourcing in 2010: Doing More With Less
- Comparing Four Options for Turning Web Site Traffic into...
- Are You Prepared for the 2009 Holiday Season? A Branded...
- Design, Develop, Deliver: The Three D's to Digitally...