Spiegel records 3Q loss; Otto named to DMA Hall of Fame
By Staff -- Home Textiles Today, 10/31/2001 12:00:00 AM
Downers Grove, IL — With retail sales tumbling in the midst of mounting consumer uncertainty — and hobbled by mounting bad-debt charge-offs in its big credit business — Spiegel Inc. recorded a third-quarter loss of $12.3 million, compared with a year-before profit of $13.5 million.
Overall sales at Spiegel, including retail and credit revenues, tumbled by 12.9 percent, to $703.8 million from $807.5 million last year. Retail sales at the direct-mail retailer fell by 10.8 percent, to $574.7 million from $644.0 million a year ago, with each of the company's four merchant divisions reporting sales weaknesses. Direct-mail sales were off by 13 percent, while sales in bricks-and-mortar stores fell by 7 percent. Internet sales continued to provide a big lift, jumping up by 42 percent.
Particularly hard hit was the Eddie Bauer division, where same-store sales fell by 15 percent, offset somewhat by sales growth in its outlet stores.
Putting earnings under further pressure, margins narrowed by 180 basis points, to 34.2 percent from 36.0 percent a year ago, due mostly to higher markdowns and additional marketing promotions at Eddie Bauer. But continued cost-cutting provided some measure of relief, and overhead was pared by 7.1 percent, to $326.8 million from $351.8 million last year.
In other company news, Michael Otto, chairman of The Spiegel Group's board of directors, has been inducted into the Direct Marketing Association's Hall of Fame, the highest professional honor in direct and interactive marketing.
We would love your feedback!
Most Recent Resources
- Getting the most out of offline leads
- Free Shipping and the Importance of Onsite Promotion
- Should Branded Manufacturers Participate in Flash Sales?
- Rugs 101 - Special Edition
- How Big Is Your Label
- Choosing a Web Site Developer
- Convergence: Tie Your Online & Offline Experience...
- Social Networks to Social Shopping
- Why Brands and Their Retailers are Facebook’s Biggest...
- Web Based Intelligence Gathering
- The Future of Tablets
- Shopatron: Bicycles & eCommerce
- A Guide to Holiday eCommerce Success
- Mattress Buying 101 - Connecting with Consumers
- Designing Your Brand’s Website for eCommerce
- Global Sourcing in 2010: Doing More With Less
- Comparing Four Options for Turning Web Site Traffic into...
- Are You Prepared for the 2009 Holiday Season? A Branded...
- Design, Develop, Deliver: The Three D's to Digitally...