NRF calls for new round of stimulus checks
By Staff -- Home Textiles Today, 10/16/2008 1:51:00 PM
Washington – The National Retail Federation called on Congress to hold a lame duck session immediately following the Nov.4 general election for the purpose of creating a new consumer stimulus package.
“Increased consumer spending would create demand throughout all sectors of the nation’s economy, from manufacturing to transportation to construction,” said Tracy Mullin, NRF president and ceo.
Mullin stated, “There is hard evidence that the first round of economic stimulus checks were used for good purposes: to pay down debt, to help fund ordinary household expenses, and to purchase necessities.”
The call for tax relief was in a letter the NRF sent yesterday to the leaders of the Senate and House of Representatives.
House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) has already said the House is mulling a lame duck session to consider economic stimulus legislation, the NRF noted, adding that the Senate is scheduled to return Nov. 17, but a stimulus package is not known to be on its agenda.
We would love your feedback!
Most Recent Resources
- Getting the most out of offline leads
- Free Shipping and the Importance of Onsite Promotion
- Should Branded Manufacturers Participate in Flash Sales?
- Rugs 101 - Special Edition
- How Big Is Your Label
- Choosing a Web Site Developer
- Convergence: Tie Your Online & Offline Experience...
- Social Networks to Social Shopping
- Why Brands and Their Retailers are Facebook’s Biggest...
- Web Based Intelligence Gathering
- The Future of Tablets
- Shopatron: Bicycles & eCommerce
- A Guide to Holiday eCommerce Success
- Mattress Buying 101 - Connecting with Consumers
- Designing Your Brand’s Website for eCommerce
- Global Sourcing in 2010: Doing More With Less
- Comparing Four Options for Turning Web Site Traffic into...
- Are You Prepared for the 2009 Holiday Season? A Branded...
- Design, Develop, Deliver: The Three D's to Digitally...