Mohawk to Acquire Wood Flooring Assets
By Staff -- Home Textiles Today, 7/9/2007 12:00:00 AM
Calhoun, Ga. —
Floor coverings manufacturer Mohawk Industries has entered into an asset purchase agreement with Columbia Forest Products for wood flooring plants and working capital.
The assets include two pre-finished solid plants and one engineered wood plant in the U.S. and an engineered wood plant in Malaysia. These plants currently represent approximately $180 million of annual sales and have been Mohawk's largest supplier of wood, the company said.
Mohawk said the plants have been losing money for Columbia, but that will turn around once they are integrated into Mohawk's operations; the transaction is expected to close in the third quarter this year.
Mohawk chairman and ceo Jeffrey Lorberbaum said, "These are excellent assets which are operating at about half their potential capacity. Over the next two years we will invest some additional capital to achieve a low cost position in the market. We will continue to support the Columbia brands sold through independent distributors and enhance the product portfolio."
Lorberbaum continued, "The acquisition enables us to fully participate in the $2.4 billion wood flooring market which is anticipated to grow at 6% to 8% long term. In the U.S., Mohawk will now have the number one or two position in the wood, carpet, ceramic, laminate, stone, and rug markets. This is another key element in Mohawk's strategy to offer a total floor covering solution to our customers."
We would love your feedback!
Most Recent Resources
- Getting the most out of offline leads
- Free Shipping and the Importance of Onsite Promotion
- Should Branded Manufacturers Participate in Flash Sales?
- Rugs 101 - Special Edition
- How Big Is Your Label
- Choosing a Web Site Developer
- Convergence: Tie Your Online & Offline Experience...
- Social Networks to Social Shopping
- Why Brands and Their Retailers are Facebook’s Biggest...
- Web Based Intelligence Gathering
- The Future of Tablets
- Shopatron: Bicycles & eCommerce
- A Guide to Holiday eCommerce Success
- Mattress Buying 101 - Connecting with Consumers
- Designing Your Brand’s Website for eCommerce
- Global Sourcing in 2010: Doing More With Less
- Comparing Four Options for Turning Web Site Traffic into...
- Are You Prepared for the 2009 Holiday Season? A Branded...
- Design, Develop, Deliver: The Three D's to Digitally...