Retail veteran Berkell dies
By Staff -- Home Textiles Today, 1/25/2002 12:00:00 AM
Plainview, NY — Sylvia Berkell, former chairwoman of retailer Curtains & Home, Inc., passed away on Jan. 14. after a long illness.
Berkell was the wife of the late Bernard Berkell. The husband and wife tandem had started the now defunct Curtains & Home, a retailer of window and bedroom fashions, as well as Highway Textiles and Times Square Stores.
"She was very well respected and one tough businesswoman," said Edward Levine, a former merchandise manager for Curtains & Home. "She had a great, great eye for fashion and wasn't hesitant to say to anyone — president, designers, ceos — what she thought of a line or coloration. She was a very interesting individual."
Wendy Keryk, president of Richloom Home Fashions' window division, characterized Berkell as "decisive," "visionary" and "a tough act to follow."
We would love your feedback!
Most Recent Resources
- Getting the most out of offline leads
- Free Shipping and the Importance of Onsite Promotion
- Should Branded Manufacturers Participate in Flash Sales?
- Rugs 101 - Special Edition
- How Big Is Your Label
- Choosing a Web Site Developer
- Convergence: Tie Your Online & Offline Experience...
- Social Networks to Social Shopping
- Why Brands and Their Retailers are Facebook’s Biggest...
- Web Based Intelligence Gathering
- The Future of Tablets
- Shopatron: Bicycles & eCommerce
- A Guide to Holiday eCommerce Success
- Mattress Buying 101 - Connecting with Consumers
- Designing Your Brand’s Website for eCommerce
- Global Sourcing in 2010: Doing More With Less
- Comparing Four Options for Turning Web Site Traffic into...
- Are You Prepared for the 2009 Holiday Season? A Branded...
- Design, Develop, Deliver: The Three D's to Digitally...