Surtex Names Student Design Winners
By Staff -- Home Textiles Today, 3/26/2007 12:00:00 AM
White Plains, N.Y. —
Working off the theme "Nature's Inspiration," design students from 27 schools around the world participated in the Surtex 2007 International Student Design Competition.
The Grand Prize was awarded to Ya-Ling Hou, Academy of Art University, San Francisco, for Lovely Garden, inspired by the soothing "sunny and breezy feeling" and "flower wave" that she experiences during afternoons in her own garden. Her stationery/paper products designs included gift boxes and bags, wrapping paper, photo albums, journals and notecards.
First place in Home Interior was won by JeeSun Won, Philadelphia University, Philadelphia, for Modern Nature, inspired by "the simplicity of nature" and "natural elements such as woods, branches and flowers." Won's collection, including wallpaper, curtains, pillows, cushions and rug, were described by judges as "current, sophisticated, whimsical, on trend and a level above."
First place in the Hospitality category went to Lenna Salbashian, Syracuse University, Syracuse, N.Y., for Zen Soleil, a collection of images to "simulate the warmth and comfort of the sun." Salbashian's designs, including carpet, upholstery, wall paneling, wall hanging, tabletop and menu, were inspired by "nature's warm and earth tone colors" to create a "casual, welcoming atmosphere for lounging and dining."
First place in Stationery/Paper Products went to Kara Phillips, Savannah College of Art and Design, Savannah, Ga., for Peacock Damask, designs "intended for a modern personal stationery collection." Judges described her designs as "very applicable and commercially viable."
The grand prize winner will receive $1,000 and a trip to the upcoming Surtex Show in New York. First place winners in each category will receive $500, plus a two-night hotel stay in New York City during the show. All winning entries and honorable mentions will be featured in a gallery display at Surtex.
We would love your feedback!
Most Recent Resources
- Getting the most out of offline leads
- Free Shipping and the Importance of Onsite Promotion
- Should Branded Manufacturers Participate in Flash Sales?
- Rugs 101 - Special Edition
- How Big Is Your Label
- Choosing a Web Site Developer
- Convergence: Tie Your Online & Offline Experience...
- Social Networks to Social Shopping
- Why Brands and Their Retailers are Facebook’s Biggest...
- Web Based Intelligence Gathering
- The Future of Tablets
- Shopatron: Bicycles & eCommerce
- A Guide to Holiday eCommerce Success
- Mattress Buying 101 - Connecting with Consumers
- Designing Your Brand’s Website for eCommerce
- Global Sourcing in 2010: Doing More With Less
- Comparing Four Options for Turning Web Site Traffic into...
- Are You Prepared for the 2009 Holiday Season? A Branded...
- Design, Develop, Deliver: The Three D's to Digitally...