Glass houses are good things
By Staff -- Home Textiles Today, 6/2/2003 12:00:00 AM
UPPER SADDLE RIVER, NJ —
Hunter Douglas has awarded a total of $20,000 to a dozen second-year students at the New Jersey School of Architecture at the NJ Institute of Technology in a design competition dubbed "A Glass House: From the Penthouse to the Shorehouse."
To make the competition as realistic as possible, the students were required to design for actual sites and clients. Half worked on designs for an urban penthouse in the Chelsea neighborhood of New York. The other half worked on beachfront property in Bayhead, along the New Jersey shore.
"I'm amazed at the level of sophistication and imagination achieved by these students," said Joe Jankoski, vp, corporate merchandising for Hunter Douglas, who made the presentations.
Thomas Jardin of Windsor, CT, won first prize for his shore house design, which was described by juror Henry Smith-Miller as a "metaphysical knot of beach to water in a presentation that revealed remarkable subtlety.
The penthouse category was won by Andy Young Kim of Parsippany, NJ, for his design that Smith-Miller described as "loose lyricism."
Smith-Miller is a partner is Smith-Miller + Hawkinson Architects, New York. He was one of six jurors who included leading practioners in design and architecture.
First prize was $5,000, second prize received $2,500, and third place won $1,000. Additionally, six honorable mentions, each with $500 awards, were also given. The awards presentation also featured demonstrations of Hunter Douglas products.
The entries will remain on display in the main gallery of the NJSOA in Newark through Aug. 15.
We would love your feedback!
Most Recent Resources
- Getting the most out of offline leads
- Free Shipping and the Importance of Onsite Promotion
- Should Branded Manufacturers Participate in Flash Sales?
- Rugs 101 - Special Edition
- How Big Is Your Label
- Choosing a Web Site Developer
- Convergence: Tie Your Online & Offline Experience...
- Social Networks to Social Shopping
- Why Brands and Their Retailers are Facebook’s Biggest...
- Web Based Intelligence Gathering
- The Future of Tablets
- Shopatron: Bicycles & eCommerce
- A Guide to Holiday eCommerce Success
- Mattress Buying 101 - Connecting with Consumers
- Designing Your Brand’s Website for eCommerce
- Global Sourcing in 2010: Doing More With Less
- Comparing Four Options for Turning Web Site Traffic into...
- Are You Prepared for the 2009 Holiday Season? A Branded...
- Design, Develop, Deliver: The Three D's to Digitally...