By Staff -- Home Textiles Today, 3/10/2003 12:00:00 AM
Kohl's adds table linen buyer
Kohl's buying office recently added Debbie Rowland, formerly in a planning position at the company, into the slot of table linens buyer. Carol Knuth, who had been in that position, is now manager, e-commerce content.
Compensation cuts Costco; home store 'encouraging'
Costco Wholesale today reported a 5 percent drop in second quarter profits, including a $26 million pre-tax charge for rising workers' compensation claims, particularly in California.
New compensation laws in California are "abusive," according to Richard Galanti, cfo. About one-third of Costco's employees work in California, but they account for two-thirds of the company's total compensation expense, he noted. Companywide, worker compensation claims average $26,000, while in California they average $70,000, he said in a conference call with analysts.
Still, Costco will continue to push growth adding about 30 units a year over the next two to three years, Galanti said.
Additionally, early reports from the company's new home furnishings specialty store, Costco Home, are encouraging, he said. The unit opened last December in Kirkland, WA, as a test.
"So far, so good," Galanti said. "My sense is that we won't make any plans beyond this first test location for at least another six months."
We would love your feedback!
Most Recent Resources
- Getting the most out of offline leads
- Free Shipping and the Importance of Onsite Promotion
- Should Branded Manufacturers Participate in Flash Sales?
- Rugs 101 - Special Edition
- How Big Is Your Label
- Choosing a Web Site Developer
- Convergence: Tie Your Online & Offline Experience...
- Social Networks to Social Shopping
- Why Brands and Their Retailers are Facebook’s Biggest...
- Web Based Intelligence Gathering
- The Future of Tablets
- Shopatron: Bicycles & eCommerce
- A Guide to Holiday eCommerce Success
- Mattress Buying 101 - Connecting with Consumers
- Designing Your Brand’s Website for eCommerce
- Global Sourcing in 2010: Doing More With Less
- Comparing Four Options for Turning Web Site Traffic into...
- Are You Prepared for the 2009 Holiday Season? A Branded...
- Design, Develop, Deliver: The Three D's to Digitally...