Pamida dragging down ShopKo
By Staff -- Home Textiles Today, 5/21/2004 12:00:00 AM
GREEN BAY, Wis. — Checked by mounting losses in its small-store Pamida unit, heartland discounter ShopKo Stores Inc. recorded a widening first-quarter loss of $2.4 million, more than twice the size of a year-before deficit of $1.1 million.
Pushing the bottom line underwater, Pamida ran out of steam after making some earlier progress, posting a $2.4 million loss, up from $1.4 million last year. Weakness at Pamida offset a modest operating profit at the core ShopKo business of $13.8 million, down 12.7 percent from $15.9 million last year.
Tugging at Pamida's bottom line was a weakening average gross margin of 24.9 percent, down 80 basis points, or eight-tenths of a percentage point from 25.7 percent a year ago.
We would love your feedback!
Most Recent Resources
- Getting the most out of offline leads
- Free Shipping and the Importance of Onsite Promotion
- Should Branded Manufacturers Participate in Flash Sales?
- Rugs 101 - Special Edition
- How Big Is Your Label
- Choosing a Web Site Developer
- Convergence: Tie Your Online & Offline Experience...
- Social Networks to Social Shopping
- Why Brands and Their Retailers are Facebook’s Biggest...
- Web Based Intelligence Gathering
- The Future of Tablets
- Shopatron: Bicycles & eCommerce
- A Guide to Holiday eCommerce Success
- Mattress Buying 101 - Connecting with Consumers
- Designing Your Brand’s Website for eCommerce
- Global Sourcing in 2010: Doing More With Less
- Comparing Four Options for Turning Web Site Traffic into...
- Are You Prepared for the 2009 Holiday Season? A Branded...
- Design, Develop, Deliver: The Three D's to Digitally...