China supply, demand presses cotton prices
By Staff -- Home Textiles Today, 5/17/2007 1:25:00 PM
Washington – With worldwide demand for cotton fore cast to rise modestly next year while production remains virtually flat, cotton prices are expected to rise in the neighborhood of 6.9% during the 2007/08 cotton growing year, to about $0.62 a pound from an average of $0.58 this year.
In a monthly update of its annual cotton supply, demand and pricing forecast, the International Cotton Advisory Council (ICAC) said world cotton production for the upcoming cotton year is forecast at 25.2 million tons, virtually unchanged from the 25.3 million tons on track for this year.
Production in China is forecast to decline slightly to 6.5 million tons, still the second largest harvest to date. U.S. cotton production, however, is forecast to slide at a double-digit pace next year, falling by 10% to an estimated 4.3 million tons. Picking up some of the slack, production in India is expected to rise slightly, to a record 4.7 million tons.
But demand continues to grow, said the cotton growers’ cartel, putting upward pressure on prices. Worldwide consumption of cotton is projected to increase by 2% during the upcoming cotton year, to 26.7 million tons, “still driven by Chinese mill use,” said the cotton growers.
“International cotton trade is expected to rebound from 8.5 million tons in 2006/07 to 9.2 million tons in 2007/08, driven by an expected rebound in Chinese imports.”
We would love your feedback!
Most Recent Resources
- Getting the most out of offline leads
- Free Shipping and the Importance of Onsite Promotion
- Should Branded Manufacturers Participate in Flash Sales?
- Rugs 101 - Special Edition
- How Big Is Your Label
- Choosing a Web Site Developer
- Convergence: Tie Your Online & Offline Experience...
- Social Networks to Social Shopping
- Why Brands and Their Retailers are Facebook’s Biggest...
- Web Based Intelligence Gathering
- The Future of Tablets
- Shopatron: Bicycles & eCommerce
- A Guide to Holiday eCommerce Success
- Mattress Buying 101 - Connecting with Consumers
- Designing Your Brand’s Website for eCommerce
- Global Sourcing in 2010: Doing More With Less
- Comparing Four Options for Turning Web Site Traffic into...
- Are You Prepared for the 2009 Holiday Season? A Branded...
- Design, Develop, Deliver: The Three D's to Digitally...