BTS/BTC gave retailers a boost August
August 30, 2012,
New York - In addition to TJX and Ross Stores - which have scored consistent monthly comp gains - several stores that have recently struggled managed to increase same-store sales in August.
- Ross Stores: Comps up 8.0%. The company said name brand bargains for back-to-school drove healthy traffic during the month.
- TJX: Comps up 8.0%, with comps in the Marmaxx Group up 9.0%. The retailer credited strong traffic.
- Stein Mart: Comps up 5.6%. Linens among the top performers during the month. The company said overall sales were strongest for regularly priced merchandise.
- Macy's: Comps up 5.1%. The strength was broad-based across merchandise categories as well as geographies and channels.
- Target: Comps up 4.2 %. Sales were stronger in the second half of the month, primarily due to back-to-school and back-to-college shopping.
- The Bon-Ton Stores: Comps up 2.2%. A refined assortment and more compelling marketing aided performance, which included growth in home.
- Kohl's: Comps up 3.4%. The company cited better merchandise content, inventory levels and marketing strategies.
- Alco: Comps down 0.9%. The drought in the Midwest - the worst in 50 years - partially impacted results.
- Fred's: Comps down 2.8%. Back-to-school sales got a late start, but put the retailer ahead of its guidance for the month.
Related Content By Author
TEN Collection Wows High Point Market
Home Textiles Today eDaily
Most Viewed Articles
See the November 2017 issue of Home Textiles Today. In this issue, we look at Complex Colors, Complex Times--Trend forecasters and interior designers weigh in on 2018 palettes and motifs. Other articles include: Data: Exclusive HTT soft window research; Innovation: Material Changes conference preview; Country report: India invests in the future and Fabrics: Showtime preview.